call me by your name 4

"so, today is the day." i sighed to colby. i looked at his icey blue eyes, which this would be the last time i would see him for a while.

"today is the day." he sighed out, placing a kiss on my lips. "your parents suggested that just the two of us go to the airport. that would allow for a proper goodbye." he said.

"i wish you didn't have to leave." i sighed for the 100th time today.

"me either, amore. i'll see you soon though." he promised.

"how soon?" i asked with a small laugh.

"probably a month or so. i have a plane ticket for you to fly out and see me." he told me, handing me a ticket he had pulled out of his pocket.

"seriously?" i asked with a smile, knowing this would not be our last goodbye.

-

colby and i had spent the rest of the afternoon together. i had helped him pack up, despite the many tears that were shed.

we went for one last swim, in the pool right where we had our first kiss. we took one last short trip to the orchard, and then to the river so he could say goodbye to my friends. we shared one last peach under the peach tree. we went to the farmers market and bought cherries one last time together. we listened to mystery of love one last time. we loved each other for one last moment.

and suddenly we were in the car, heading to the airport where i would hug him goodbye one last time, not seeing him for at least a month... and then who knows long after that.

"i'll miss you, amore." colby said, resting his hand on my thigh. my eyes flickered over to the boy who had taken my heart, his gentle smile making me want to kiss him more than ever.

"i'll miss you, colby. thank you for this summer." i said to the beautiful boy as we pulled up to the airport.

"thank you for this summer. i promise we will see each other again." he told me. and i believed him. i believed every word that he has told me since the day we met. every promise he had made so far, he kept. every secret we shared, he kept. there was no reason for me to believe that his promise was not genuine.

i walked into the airport with him, not being able to go past the gate when we walked in.

"so this is our goodbye." i sighed out, more tears escaping my eyes. i looked to the boy in front of me who i've grown to love over the past three months.

"this is goodbye... for now." he said, pulling me into his embrace. "this summer was amazing, mi amore. i hope to see you in a month."

"i- i love you colby." i said. it felt so natural and in the moment... i didn't even think about what i said until after it had flown out of my mouth. i looked at the man in front of me, trying to figure out if he was okay with what came out of my mouth. his brows furrowed and i took it as a bad sign until he spoke up.

"te amo, mi amore." he said, making me break out into the biggest smile possible. "until next time."

"alla prossima amore mio." i said to him. until next time my love.

he gave me one last kiss and a hug before i watched him walk away from me. i would miss him deeply but i knew this was not goodbye.

-

"are you okay, lovely?" my mother asked me, walking into my room.

"i miss him, madré." i sighed out.

"i know dear." she said, sitting on my bed. "you two surely had something special." she said, making me look up at her. we hadn't told anybody about our relationship.

"he was a very good person." i said.

"that he was, tesoro. he was my favorite summer guest, dont you agree?" she asked. i thought about it for a moment. i had loved emily staying with us, but colby was different. colby was exactly what i needed in life.

"he was, mama." i told her with a gentle smile.

fino alla prossima volta. until next time.