boxing

adelaides point of view

i decided to stop by the gym to see my boyfriend, colby. he's a boxer and is training for one of his fights rights now.

"hey." i grinned, walking up to the ring after the receptionist let me through.

"take a break, tom." colby said to the man he was practicing with. "hey. what're you doing here?" he asked me as he came out of the ring, through the ropes.

"tara asked me to grab some groceries and i noticed your car in the parking lot on my way back through." i told him.

"i thought maybe you came to practice." he laughed.

"not exactly." i said with a giggle.

"i think it'd be good for you to be able to defend yourself." he told me.

"considering i'm dating you, that'd probably come in handy." i said back.

"i'll teach you how to block real quick." he suggested, going through the ropes again and then grabbing my hand to pull me up.

he grabbed his used and abused pair of boxing gloves and then grabbed another pair out of his bag. he helped me put on the much nicer pair of gloves before putting his own on.

"okay so blocking is basically just using your hands as defense tools for incoming attacks. so you kinda want your gloves to be covering your face and you'll want your elbows in front of your stomach so that if they try to punch you, they won't be able to hurt you that bad." he told me, demonstrating.

"like this?" i asked, practicing it.

"perfect." he smiled. "i'm gonna gently throw some punches and you just have to block, okay?" he said.

"i have a feeling we have different definitions of 'gently.'" i laughed.

"you've got this." he said.

when he said gently, he really meant it.

"i can show you how to properly throw punches." he suggested. i nodded. i think it'd give me a peaceful state of mind knowing that i could defend myself if i ever needed to.

"okay so you always always always want to keep your thumb on the outside of your hand. if you punch with it on the inside, there's a huge chance that you'll shatter your thumb." he told me.

"got it." i said back.

"but also make sure your thumb is out of the way so it doesn't hurt you upon impact. when you're actually throwing the punch, let your pointer and middle finger stick out the slightest bit further because it drives them in more." he told me. i simply replied with a nod.

"so putting your two fingers out slightly further would be a front punch. you also do that because if your pinky knuckle hits someone, you may get boxers break in your pinky. a jab cross punch would be really hard for your opponent to detect so i'd say to opt for that." he told me, walking behind me to demonstrate the gibberish that was coming out of his mouth.

toms point of view

"edward, i've never seen him act like this." i said to edward. he's worked in the gym for as long as i can remember.

i'm kind of like colbys trainer. he's better than me at boxing but i help him with the delivery of his punches and i help him practice.

i've known colby since he was 15, when he first came into the gym. and i'd never seen him care for someone like this.

"me either, tom. she's got him wrapped around her finger... in a good way." edward said to me.

we watched as colby tried to teach her how to block punches. he was being so gently and calm with her. he's never acted like this before.

adelaides point of view

"exactly! perfect, babe. just like that." colby kept encouraging as i threw punches to the punching mitts he had on.

"alright, that's enough for today." he said, putting his hands down. "you did good. i'm impressed."

"thank you, thank you." i said while fake bowing.

colby took his mitts off and then helped me take my gloves back off.

"i have to finish up with tom today for my big fight, but we'll have to schedule a day for just the two of us so i can show you how to defend yourself." he smiled.

"i'd like that. good luck with tom." i laughed.

"i'm undefeated this season, baby. i don't think anyone stands a chance." he told me.

he was going against some hot shot named ryan lee. i was nervous for him but he seemed fine. he's been practicing like crazy.

"i'll be over after dinner." colby told me, pressing a short and sweet kiss to my lips.

"i'll be waiting." i smiled.

he helped me down from the ring, kissing me one last time and then sending me out with a tap on the butt.

colbys point of view

"i didn't realize you two had gotten so close." tom said as he approached the rink.

"i didn't think i needed to tell anyone about it. i don't want her to be a target. if people know we're together, they'll go after her. all of the guys that i fought illegally before i was in the league will target her. and i won't let that happen." i responded.

"you've gone soft, huh buddy?" he asked.

"just for her. it won't affect my game." i smirked.