Chapter 29

That was the first night in the last couple of weeks that Sebastian had actually had a really good sleep without any of his usual nightmares. He groaned and slowly sat up in his bed wondering what had awoken him so early on the weekend. As Sebastian listened he could hear the muffled sounds of laughter that seemed to be coming from somewhere downstairs. Sebastian yawn and stretched his arms before sleepily climbing out of bed and shuffling through his drawers for a shirt that he could wear when he went downstairs. He still had his pajama pants on from the night before and was too sleepy to even consider changing them as he stumbled out of his room and down the hall to the stairwell.

Sebastian walked down the stairs and noticed that the laughter was coming from the kitchen. Sebastian furrowed his brow and slowly walked towards the kitchen. He peeked around the corner and saw Danny and Philip laughing with his mom as his dad was making french toast on the stove. Sebastian caught himself smiling as he looked at the picture that was before his eyes. He was even more surprised at the fact that his eyes immediately went to Danny, his mouth went dry and his palms got sweaty. Sebastian cursed himself, because he knew what this was. His eyes were immedaitely drawn back to Danny as no one had noticed him yet. Sebastian sighed in a silent resignment, before leaning against the doorframe jsut loud enough that his mother heard him.

"Morning sleepy head," Sebatian's mother said as she smiled and walked over to him. She leaned against Sebastian in a kind of penguin hug before doing a small hop to be able to reach Sebastian's cheek to give him a small kiss. Sebastian was glad that his mother was still respecting his need for minimal contact while still finding ways to show her affection.

"Mom! Stop it!" Sebastian joked as he gently pushed her away. Sebastian's mother smiled devilishly before walking over to his dad.

"Never deny a mother the pleasure of embrassing her son," Sebastian mother retorted with her nose in the air in mock snippiness. Sebastian chuckled before risking a side glance at Danny and Philip. Philip looked happy and was laughing at Sebastian and his mother's foolishness, but Danny looked almost like he was jealous of him and his mother. Sebastian guessed that there was more to the dinner and the bruises that he had seen on Danny. The relationship that he had with his mother was probably worse then Sebastian had originally thought.

"So do you boys have any plans for the rest of the day?" Sebastian's father asked as he brought over a plate of french toast to the table. Sebastian took the empty seat on the other side of Danny, where his mother had placed an empty plate for him. The boys pulled a couple pieces of toast on to each of their plates and had taken a bit before Sebastian and Danny exchanged a look. Sebastian watched as Danny glanced back towards Philip, before he quietly sighed.

"I think that we have been away from home long enough, we should probably be heading back there," Danny replied solemnly but tried his best for a small smile. He did appreciate the offer but he was more terrified of the reprocussions that he knew was going to come if he and Philip didn't get home soon. Philip's smile disappears and he nods slowly while staring at his hands that were clasped together in his lap. Sebastian's parents don't not notice the sudden change in atmospere, and even Sebastian had become suspicious of it.

"Well, you boys are welcome here anytime you want, alright?" Sebastian's mom commented as she took the now empty plates off of the table and put them in the sink to be washed. Sebastian could tell that his mother was suspecting the same thing that he was. This was the problem with having a mother and a father who were psychologists, with a degree in criminal and children psychology respectively, you start to pick up their habits of analyzing people's moods.

"Whenever you guys want to head out I'll drive you to your house," Sebastian told Danny and Philip, but was looking directly at Danny when he said it. Sebastian was trying to convey to Danny with his eyes that his parents really meant it about coming over whenever they wanted, though he wasn't sure if Danny really understood. Sebastian's parents left the kitchen after a few more minutes of chatting to go work in their home office.

"Our parents might start to worry if we are out for too much longer," Danny's mentions to Sebastian as he stares down at the dining table that they were sitting at, rubbing at a small scratch mark that was in the tabletop.

"Alright," Sebastian replied as he cautiously stood up from the table, while watching Danny for a reaction. Danny's shoulders slumped forward and he slowly stood up from the table too. Philip hopped off of his spot and hung his head slightly as he grabbed for Danny's hand. Neither of them wanted to head back to that house just yet, but they knew that they had to or the consequences would be far worse.

Sebastian led them out to the car and drove off to Danny's house once they had piled into the car and buckled up. Everyone was silent in the car, even as they arrived at Danny's house. Philip exits the backseat of the car and waits by the front of the car for Danny. Danny unbuckles his seatbelt and goes for the door handle of the car when Sebastian grabs his arm. Danny jumps a bit before slowly turning to face Sebastian. Danny's heart jumps in his chest when he sees the serious look on Sebastian's face.

"Even if you don't believe my parents please, if you get into any kind of trouble just give me a call, alright?" Sebastian told Danny, tightening his grip on Danny's arm for emphasis before pulling his hand back. Danny is frozen in the spot for a moment, captured by Sebastian's gaze, before slowly nodded. Sebastian's features relaxed, and he cracked the faintest of smiles. "Good, now your brother is waiting very patiently for you in front of my car."

Danny ducked his head as he practically jumped out of the car, slamming the door behind him in his hast to make sure that Sebastian didn't see the blush that was creeping up on his face. Sebastian was frozen there for a moment before slowly putting the car into ignition and backing out of the driveway. But the nervous knots in Sebastian's stomach only grew worse the further that he got away from Danny. He knew that something wasn't right in that house, but he couldn't do anything about it without concrete evidence.