CHAPTER XXXV: SICKNESS

"When all your thoughts are dark and insecure,
I'll build you a light, cause baby, I'm sure,
That loving you has made me better.
I'll take all your shadows and make sure that you shine."
- Lady Gaga, The Greatest Thing

I hate being sick.

This is only the first time I get sick, but I'm already hating it. Apparently, I have what mortals call a "fever", which I want to get rid of as soon as possible. But being stuck inside this unit makes it seem that it's impossible to cure.

It has been days since Slate left me alone in our home – he just opened up a portal and then slipped right through it. For a moment, I was angry at him for leaving me, but I realized that I was being clingy. So I let my anger disappear, taking deep breaths. And after he left me, he never leaves my mind. He's always there, stuck inside my head, and I can't do anything but to imagine the way everything feels so right when he's around me, or near me. I'm craving for his touch, his scent, and now I'm basically bedridden, feeling like I'm dying, it feels like the world is now ending for me.

Runny nose, and my head feels so heavy. It has been a day since this fever started. Before this occurred, I was just cleaning the entire unit, and then I went into the shower after a long day of cleaning, then after that, I started feeling the heaviness and then it led eventually to this situation I'm in. I don't have any idea how to cure this. I can barely even stand up. It's like there's a heavy brick placed on top of me and I can't move at all. I keep on sniffing, my eyes getting teary as I shut them.

It feels like I'm seconds from dying, like my body is about to give up. Nobody warned me that being a mortal is hard and now, I'm suffering.

The thick blanket is covering me, my whole body, yet I still feel cold. There were times that I just wished for the bed to open up and send me down to Hell just to feel the warmth, because I have heard from someone that it's hot there. But then after thinking that, I always think that it's ludicrous.

When my eyes are starting to droop, the door of my room bangs up, revealing a worried Slate. I jolt awake, jumping off the bed slightly, wide eyed when I see my demon standing in the doorway, watching me with worried eyes. My heart somersaults upon seeing him and I let out a sigh of relief. Slate is back now, and I know that he's going to take care of me. Being sick sucks.

Slate takes a step forward, but then I stop. "No," I croak, then cough. "You might catch a cold, too."

The demon rolls his eyes at me, and moves forward towards my direction, sitting on the bed. I shrink back, not wanting him closer to me, fearing that he might get sick, too, which I clearly don't want to happen to him. It's enough that I'm the only one who's sick, and he doesn't need to be, too.

"What a silly thought," he says gruffly, placing the back of his hand over my forehead, feeling it up. He makes a disgruntled face. "Shit, you're hot."

"Language," I scold him, then let out another cough.

"It's just a word," he says, pinching my cheek, throwing me a smirk. Oh how much I've missed that smirk of his. I have missed him so much. "I could use a magic just to make you feel better, but I figure that taking care of you will be much more effective. So prepare to be taken care of like a prince should be."

Slate leans forward, planting his lips against mine and I kiss him back, parting my lips and he takes that as an opportunity to slip his tongue inside. The kiss takes my breath away, as expected; Slate has that power, to steal my breath. It's very ironic to think that he's the one stealing my breath away yet he's basically the source of the air I intake.