CHAPTER XXXIII: HELLISH PLACE

"I'm on the edge of glory
and I'm hangin' on a moment of truth
Out on the edge of glory
and I'm hangin' on a moment with you."
- Lady Gaga, The Edge of Glory

FORNEUS "SLATE" FURTUR

Never would I have thought, ever since I became a demon, that I would be attached with an angel. When I became a demon, a Great Marquis of Hell, the number one thing I wanted to happen was for the angels to suffer more than I and people had. When my parents got dethroned and were replaced, I suddenly saw the flaw in their system, in their way of ruling, and it was my job to correct them and I voiced out my thoughts, but they didn't listen. I was called a traitor.

Watching the angel in front of me, Adrian is giving me the sad puppy eyes. I sigh, shaking my head. As much as I want to stay here and be with him, as a demon, I have to do my duties. And right now, I'm being called. I'm being called for the strategy planning of the demons. Can you believe it? Demons strategize. We do.

Ever since Adrian has been thrown here on earth, the Heavens remain silent. They haven't done any actions – they don't roam the world like they use to do. Warrior angels cannot be seen. And it's very unlikely of them to do that. We barely encounter any angels at all.

When the angels found out that Rahab was the one who pushed Adrian, the King's heir, down the fountain, Rahab got punished immediately and converted into a fallen angel. He doesn't regret anything. When Rahab got converted, he's the happiest. I have yet to meet him, but I can tell that I'm not going to like that kid. He's the reason why Adrian is here on Earth, living with me. But if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have met Hadraniel. I wouldn't have met my angel.

"Can you just leave tomorrow?" Adrian whines, still staring at me with a puppy eyes. His eyes are teary, and his fingers are wrapped around my forearm tight, an indication that he really doesn't want me to go.

I would stay if I don't have to attend this shitty strategy meeting. But I have to. I'm one of the demons who own the title of The Great Marquis of Hell, and that's one of the highest position in Hell. I have to show up in the meeting. Plus Dantalion said that my legions are already looking for me and somehow I need to make an appearance to them, make them feel my presence.

"Adrian, I was supposed to leave three hours ago but I stayed for you," I say. Yes, Adrian has been bugging me to stay. I let out a growl, yelled at him, scolded him, bared my fangs at him, and transformed myself into a demon, but Hadraniel didn't get scared at all. He just keeps giving me that helpless look on his face, and he's wearing it right now, making my heart clench in pain. I hate to see that look. It just doesn't suit on his face. His eyes become glossier, and it feels like in any seconds he'll start to cry. I lean down, cupping his face. "Adrian, I'll be back. I promised you that, didn't I? I have already put spells here and nobody's going to hurt you. I'll be back as soon as I can. Just stay here, do some stuff that will keep you entertained, okay? I have to go."

"Why?" he whines stubbornly, his fingers uncurling around my forearm. Instead he wraps his arms around me tight, burying his face in my chest and I heave up a sigh of frustration. "Why do you have to attend?"

"Hadraniel Stars, listen to me," I say sternly, pushing him away. His eyes are downcast, and his fingers fiddling with each other. He just looks so sad and hopeless and helpless. "I have to go. I will be back, I promise you." He's about to protest, beginning to open his mouth, when I lean down and put my mouth against his, making him moan out loud.