Nickolas

From Nick's POV

The boss-man was odd, to say the least. He acted much like a commoner at times, and others he acted like a noble, but he was always the most un-royal royal I'd ever heard about.

When we got Merry, he gave her a meal, had her sit with is, gave her a dress... He didn't even force her to get a tattoo, despite the fact she was a slave. He called her human, despite the fact she was a beast-man. If he was this interesting all the time, maybe it's not a bad idea to get that tattoo and swear loyalty. However, I still wasn't sure.

Until I saw him helping a child. This young child was the son of the inn's owner, and he scampered around with an energy you only have when you're young. He ran out and tripped over nothing, and a carriage nearly ran the poor boy over. Boss ran in front of him, and took the full force of the horses headbutt.

The coachman looked at him, and urged the horses forward. The horses didn't budge, and I noticed Boss's eyes had frosted with anger. "Look where you're going. You almost ran over a child!" He yelled at them, before helping the boy up.

"What racket! Can't a noble pleasantly count coins without losing his number?" The lean man said. "Coachman, why have we stopped?" "I'm sorry, my lord. A commoner was in the way..." "Run them over next time. I don't have time to waste on them." The boss-man stood up and growled at the noble. He pulled out his sword, and cut the nobles wheels.

"How dare you! Guards, kill the commoner! Hmph, a mere commoner wasting my time!" A chill started to permeate from the Boss. "I could kill you and be justified by the countries laws." "You? Kill me? Furthermore, you think you could get off scott-free? I'm a noble, the laws don't apply to me."

"The laws apply to you more than they apply to the commoners, because you're a noble!" "Nonsense. Now you're wasting my time, so kindly die quickly." "I've decided. Worst punishment it is. Lukas? Bind him to the countries laws, and then bind him to the commoners. Everytime someone breaks the law, he will know. Everytime a noble hurts a commoner, he will feel their pain. Everytime a noble kills a commoner, make him feel their fear."

A song graced the air, and I saw Lukas, singing in a soft baritone... Until I realized he was chanting. He was cursing the Noble, as requested. "You will feel as the commoners feel, and the villains will make your sleep fitful at best. This is the punishment that you have chosen." I looked at the boss, and admired his desicion. Instead of killing a noble, he bound the Noble to fix his own deeds, and the deeds of others like him, all so he could sleep. He would be more than inclined to assist commoners from now on.

Lukas stopped singing, and the Noble faintly glowed. "Are you done speaking nonsense? Then die!" The Noble called. Boss turned to the boy, and patted his head. "It's okay now. Off you go." The boy nodded, smiling, and ran off with his youthful vigour.

Then the Boss-man held off four guards all by himself. Suddenly, the Noble started screaming. He clutched his right arm. "Sire, what's wrong?" The coach man asked. "My ar- aaaaaa!" He howled in pain again as over and over, all over the kingdom, various commoners were being inflicted with wounds.

The Boss coldly returned to us. "Thanks, Lukas." Lukas nods, smiling softly. "Shall we go, everyone?" I knew that this man was worth following that moment, and when we returned I got the tattoo to prove it.