One

I wake up in a cradle of fine wood, with Lukas beside me. He's sleeping peacefully. Makes me want to scare him awake. Poke.

He jerks awake at my touch, and bows, still half asleep. I laugh, and Alfred wakes from his sleep in a bed to the left of mine. Behind us a window lets a sunrise come through. In my previous life, I made sure I always got nine hours sleep and always woke right as the sun came up. It was hard, predicting when it would come up, and training myself to wake at the slightest change in temperature once again.

Before I knew it, I was one. My days were boring. Wake, whine, eat, practice magic secretly, eat, sleep, wake, whine, eat, sleep, repeat. Sigh. Alfred and Lucas took care of me, and when my birthday came, I was given my first toy.

Another two years pass as I eavesdrop at the door, trying to pick up everything I can. I seem to be someone either really hated, my father really hated, or I'm unknown. I never heard my name even whispered. The only reason I knew my name was Thomas was Alfred, constantly calling me by name.

By now, my teeth were growing in, and I could crawl. Alfred started being exaggerated when he pointed to something and said a word. I lol'd inwardly as I pretended to copy him badly. He was so much fun to tease.

Another two years, and I can walk and play with toys. Jeeze, those five years were boring. At least I learned some patience and to move my magic around my body efficiently. My only joys were when I was attacked in the middle of the night.

One look at Alfred, nothing. One look at Lukas, nothing. One look at me, and they were kneeling in under a second. Next morning they're gone. I wonder what Lukas did to them.