Speaking

"Wait!" Someone calls as we leave my room. I turn to the voice, and Merlin is standing there. "Please wait a moment, Prince Thomas. I have sensed that I am connected with your fate in some way. So if you ever have need of me, break this star and I shall appear." Merlin hands me a glass star hanging on a cord. I hand it to Alf, who puts it around my neck.

"Thanks. Then, we'll be off." I say, and we leave in silence. Out of curiosity, I glanced back, but Merlin was gone. I turn to Nick. "So where do we sign up to become adventurers and merchants?" "You can't be both, actually. The adventurers would monopolize the market, and that wouldn't turn out well."

"Then we should get another person to be a merchant, while we be adventurers. We'll be their providers, and we'll get a portion of the profit." Nick stares at me as if I suddenly sprouted a tail. "That's a wonderful idea! Why has no one thought of that?" "They probably have, that or they're just so selfish it would never occur to either of them, merchant or adventurer. They would have to share the profit, after all. Anyway, what would be the most effective way of getting a loyal merchant just starting out?"

"Save their life." "Be their most profitable option." Nick and Alf suggest two effective solutions. "Free someone deep in debt because of their parents." Lukas speaks for the first time, and his suggestion is very sensible. Saving someone from a horrid life as a mine worker or wherever they're sent too because they weren't sold, would make them feel indebted to us. Add in the fact it was their parents fault, they probably wouldn't know anything but hardship, and by being kind they would be extremely loyal.