22. Faithful

Things between Arden and I were pretty awkward until midday. We both wasn't sure what to say to each other. I was too busy worrying about what else she was doing behind my back and she seemed to feel actually guilty. By the way she said things and her actions, I could tell she felt horrible. She spoke a little too softly to me as if I was a fragile child and went out of her way to display chivalry. All I wanted to hear was that she was sorry and that she'd never touch another girl again but all I got was puppy dog eyes and obsessive gifts at the shops we went to. At least, she fulfilled her promise of not bringing her phone along with her.

It was around noon and we had just arrived to her favorite restaurant in her city. Throughout the car ride, she talked to me about how good the food was and how lovely the service at the restaurant was. Apparently, it was a family-owned restaurant that not a lot of people knew about. When we got there, I wondered if people actually did know about the restaurant but just didn't go. The place looked sanitary enough to eat at but it also needed a bit of renovating. It still had decorations from the '60s, and the walls were a nasty puke green. Even with such an ugly sight, Arden kept the smile plastered on her face.

There was only about five people in all at the restaurant. All old and the only thing they had ordered was coffee. My stomach turned from being so hungry but a part of me didn't want to put anything in my mouth from the restaurant.

"Well, look who's in town," a middle aged lady said as she rushed from behind the counter. She pulled Arden into a tight hug and shook her back and forth. Arden was so tiny compared to the woman with the honey blonde hair. Her stature was tall and pudgy. She wore the biggest smile on her face as she stepped back from the hug. My girlfriend chuckled as she fixed her clothes that she was wearing. "It's the rap star from Hollywood! You never come and see us anymore! Hank, give her, her usual!"

The woman's eyes finally focused on me. They widened a little bit and her smiled dimmed just a slight bit. It wasn't because she was trying to be rude, but I think it was just because she didn't know me. She didn't want to seem too excited, I guess. "And I know who you are. You two are perfect together!" If only she knew what had happened last night and this morning. All the public saw was the good moments I had with Arden so of course they thought we had little to no problems in private but they were so wrong.

Instead of dishing and telling the woman across from me that she had everything all wrong, I just smiled and nodded my head. In response, Arden wrapped her arm around my waist and kissed my cheek softly. "She's beautiful, isn't she? Probably the most beautiful girl on planet earth. I'm the luckiest woman in the world." At first, I smiled genuinely but then I remembered the girl that was texting her this morning. She was even better looking and if I was the most beautiful girl in the world then why wasn't Arden content. I sighed but brushed off my insecurities when I heard the lady across from me ask me a question.

"What would you like, honey?" Honestly, I wasn't sure that I wanted anything from her old establishment. I looked at the menu that was hanging on the wall and shrugged my shoulders.

"Um, I'll just get what Arden is getting," I decided. Arden had actually ate here before, so many times that they knew her order. If she didn't die from eating whatever she ordered then hopefully I wouldn't either. The lady left us to go in the back and help Hank prepare the food. Arden took my hand and led me to her "favorite booth" in the restaurant.

"That's Patricia. She was kind of like a second mum to me growing up. I'd just run around everywhere and she kept me in check when my mum couldn't, you know?" I heard Arden say the words but it didn't occur to me to respond back. My mind was just running so much that I wasn't focused on reality. She must've noticed I wasn't really listening to her because she instantly stopped talking. Instead, she looked out the window at the cars and people that were passing by. It was truly awkward and I felt bad but I couldn't help how I felt. No matter how much I tried to hide it or how much I said it aloud, I really wasn't okay with Arden being with other girls. All it did was make me feel like I wasn't good enough. I didn't want to be anyone's second best.