Chapter 22

He reached the door of the study, but Xiao Rongzi, waiting outside, intercepted him with a smile. "Lord Ning, His Majesty isn't in the study. He's gone to the Imperial Garden."

Lately, with so much going on, Li Wuting felt like the study was kidnapping him, and he rarely wandered elsewhere.

What was happening today? Had he accumulated too much pressure?

Xiao Rongzi explained, "His Majesty found the study too stuffy, so he went out for some fresh air."

He thanked Xiao Rongzi and headed towards the Imperial Garden.

Li Wuting sat by the stone table, with Dequan and a group of palace attendants standing beside him. He hadn't even changed out of his dragon robe, probably just sitting in the study for a moment before coming out.

Li Wuting glanced at him, then lowered his eyes and took a sip of tea. "Hmm."

Ning Rushen, without missing a beat, continued, "Heard His Majesty is feeling stifled?"

A scene from *Records of the Sea's Rise and Fall* suddenly flashed in Li Wuting's mind: "Emperor Ting pressing Ning Lang down, his eyes red, muttering, 'I feel stifled.'"

Li Wuting took a deep breath, his veins popping.

Ning Rushen leaned in, "Your Majesty?"

He stood out conspicuously in his crimson attire amidst the pure white pear blossoms, his head extended revealing a slender, fair neck.

Li Wuting felt a headache coming on. "What are you wandering around for? Stand behind me."

Ning Rushen hesitated, "..."

He reluctantly moved behind Li Wuting.

Indeed, he felt stifled, his heart restless.

Standing behind him, he cast a questioning glance at Dequan, who skillfully and subtly replied with his eyes and brows:

We don't know either. It was like this last night. It shouldn't be Lord Ning's fault.

Ning Rushen: Could it be an issue with Duke De?

Dequan stared, "Nonsense! We are the closest."

The two were exchanging glances, their eyes meeting, communicating soul to soul... When suddenly, Li Wuting's voice came clear and cool, "What are you staring at?"

Dequan hurriedly knelt, "Forgive me, Your Majesty!"

There was a silence by the stone table for a few moments.

Only when cold sweat started to form on Dequan's forehead did he hear a voice from above, "Never mind, get up."

"Thank you, Your Majesty!" Dequan gratefully got up, tears streaming down.

The emperor's expression had returned to normal, as calm and dignified as ever.

He immediately lowered his head and stood to the side.

·

The emperor was in a bad mood, not even Duke De, who was the best at reading his expressions and flattering him, dared to speak, and no one else in the palace dared to make a sound.

Ning Rushen stood behind, not wanting to attract attention.

The spring weather was just right at this moment, and it was the time when the pear blossoms were falling. With a gentle breeze, the petals on the top of his head were blown down and covered the courtyard, piling up like snow.

He tucked his sleeves and leisurely enjoyed the scenery.

In the courtyard, the spring flowers were in full bloom, and the time was peaceful.