Chapter 6

Ning Ruchen took a deep breath: What good intentions could Li Wuting possibly have? He was just looking to set a trap for him.

If he answered this question poorly, he and the Geng family would be done for.

Hesitating, rumors he had heard during the palace banquet suddenly came to mind. Ning Ruchen steadied his nerves and decided to take a gamble—

His spine, visible beneath his court attire, was as straight as a pine, "I believe that those who are greedy, pervert the law, and harm the livelihood of the people, such calamities to the country and disasters to the people, should have their families confiscated and be exiled, with their entire clans bearing the same guilt!"

Li Wuting seemed surprised for a moment, then added a touch of scorn, "Minister Ning cuts off relations for justice, clearly distinguishing between public and private interests, admirable for your integrity…"

"Then, as Minister Ning suggests, let's convict and exile the Geng family."

Ning Ruchen almost tore a hole in the blanket: I've never seen you hold me in such regard before.

He took another deep breath, "I meant, those who are 'greedy and pervert the law' should be immediately punished."

Only De Quan, drenched in cold sweat and trembling like a sieve, remained, his whole being screaming: We're done for!

Everyone else was sent away.

Li Wuting stood up and walked over to Ning Ruchen, his dark eyes clouding over like an approaching storm, brewing with emotion, "Who gave you the courage to speculate on my thoughts?"

He asked softly, "What rumors have you been listening to?"

Ning Ruchen's heart raced, silently confirming his guess was right.

Li Wuting indeed knew that the backers were from the former Crown Prince's faction. The remaining question was how he planned to deal with the Cui family.

With the new emperor's foundation not yet stable, now wasn't the best time to take down the Cui family in anyone's eyes.

But if Consort Xian really was harmed by Queen Cui...

Ning Ruchen thought: If he were Li Wuting, he'd definitely want to deal with them immediately, day and night.

"Answer me," the voice from above demanded again.

Ning Ruchen took a moment to gather his thoughts, then straightened up to reply, "Actually, I heard the ravings of Minister Geng..."

Li Wuting, "..."

Ning Ruchen continued, "Saying that the treasury's money has all been taken by the Cui family. Seeing him speak with such frenzy, in utter disarray, his fists clenched red and grinding his teeth, his expression seemed genuine—so I took the liberty of reporting to Your Majesty, hoping to uncover the truth and severely punish the chief culprit!"

He finished in one breath, quickly calculating in his mind.

Seventy-four words to turn the tables.

As he was silently calculating, he suddenly heard Li Wuting speak, "It seems I have misunderstood Minister Ning."

Ning Ruchen looked up, filled with hope: He's not pursuing it further?

Li Wuting remarked, "It seems your personal relationship with Minister Geng is quite poor."

"..." Ning Ruchen's lips quivered: Is that important?!

Amidst the surge of emotions within him, the emperor before him withdrew his gaze.