Chapter 10

With the grip on the rope slackening, Ning Rushen hurriedly withdrew his hand.

Li Yingtan cautiously peeked out again, cradling Li Jingyu with care.

Li Jingyu struggled out of the grasp with muffled noises, revealing two innocent and bright eyes, expressing confusion.

Ning Rushen rose and performed a bow, "Minister Ning Chen pays his respects to Prince Xuan and Prince Jing." Even as he bowed, his hands were still shackled together.

Quickly, a hand reached out, slender fingers slipping through the rope loop with a gentle tug, and the tightly bound rope around Ning Rushen's wrist was abruptly loosened.

Ning Rushen hurriedly removed the rope and adjusted his cloak, which was slipping off his shoulder, "Thank you, Your Majesty."

Li Wuting sat back down, turning the page on the matter, "What is it?"

Li Yingtan took the hint and spoke, "The spring hunt in a few days..."

He barely caught his breath when Li Jingyu turned his attention to Ning Rushen again, "Why did Imperial Brother bind Mr. Ning?"

Ning Rushen swallowed, thinking to himself, Little Prince, read the room.

Li Wuting paused, then couldn't help himself, "It wasn't I who bound him."

Li Jingyu, curious, "Not Imperial Brother? Did Mr. Ning bind himself?"

That sounded eerily familiar.

Ning Rushen quickly intervened, "It was indeed I who bound myself."

Li Yingtan hurriedly silenced Li Jingyu with a tone one might use on a child, "Alright, alright, you heard it was he himself. No more questions."

Ning Rushen, "..."

You could also say less.

Perhaps sensing that continuing this topic would only lead to further embarrassment, Li Wuting tapped the table lightly, "Wish to join the spring hunt?"

Li Jingyu immediately straightened up, "Yes, Imperial Brother."

"I'll join as well, just before heading to my fief," said Li Yingtan. "Besides, though Cui Hao Yuan has been imprisoned, there remain some demons and ghosts lurking in the shadows... I'll help clean up."

"The spring hunt is up to you, the Cui family will be handled by me," Li Wuting declared, then paused, "Reward those who deserve it, and punish those who do not."

A clothes prop flashed through Ning Rushen's mind.

Suddenly, Li Wuting's gaze, as if sensing something, fell on him, "What are you thinking, Ning Qing?"

Ning Rushen blurted out, "Has the Pokémon been confiscated?"

"..." Li Wuting seemed to pause for a moment, "Hmm."

Li Yingtan: ??? Who?

"That's good." With the revenge of the hot pot settled, Ning Rushen formally excused himself, "If there's nothing else, I shall take my leave."

Li Wuting nodded towards him.

After exchanging bows with the two princes, Ning Rushen turned and headed for the door. His cloak's tie had been taken away, leaving him to clutch at the neckline, exposing half of his arm.

Just as he reached the door, he was suddenly called, "Minister Ning."

Ning Rushen, clutching his neckline, turned around, "Your Majesty?"

Li Wuting's gaze, from across the vast imperial study, landed on him, "You will accompany us on the spring hunt in a few days."

Ning Rushen, "..."