Chapter 5

Ning Rushen woke from a fitful sleep to find ten burly men encircling his courtyard, almost believing he was caught in a spell.

It remained uncertain whether the intervention of the ten protectors had taken effect or if the petty thief had been utterly worn out by him, but for the following two days, the adversary seemed to have ceased their approaches.

De Quan arrived with the imperial decree to deliver rewards, greeting Ning Rushen with a beaming smile, "My lord must take good care of himself and return to his duties soon. Do not let down His Majesty's grace."

At first, he seemed intent on yelling him to death, but now he was saving him and even providing medicinal herbs. Regardless of whether it was for show or another motive, it appeared that Li Wuting had no desire to take his life.

As he expressed his gratitude, his eyelashes slightly drooped, and his eyes shimmered with a faint aqua, displaying a weary sickness.

De Quan exclaimed in concern, "My lord, have you not rested well?"

"It's nothing," Ning Rushen couldn't admit it was due to his standoff with the bandit, instead changing the subject, "It's merely concern for His Majesty that keeps me from sleeping at night."

De Quan offered a comforting smile, brushing off the dust with his duster, "This servant will surely convey my lord's sentiments."

Ning Rushen offered a polite smile in return.

It was possible, but unnecessary.

After the departure of the palace entourage, the maid, Xinglan, sorted through the supplements sent over, her face alight with joy, “His Majesty really treats my lord well, these are all top-notch ingredients! I will select some to make soup for my lord right away.”

Ning Rushen nodded, his hands tucked into his sleeves, then added, “Just pick from today’s selection, no need for tomorrow.”

Yan Min inquired, “Does my lord have plans for tomorrow?”

Ning Rushen gazed beyond the mansion, “Hmm, to enjoy the autumn breeze.”

...

The meeting with Geng Yan was scheduled for the following day.

Before leaving, Yan Min draped a cloak over Ning Rushen while incessantly advising, “It’s good to take a walk outside... but you mustn’t drink alcohol again, nor should you stay in the wind.”

Ning Rushen fastened the cloak adorned with silvery white cloud patterns, the bright red clothes beneath making him strikingly handsome and elegant. Despite a slight pallor, his appearance lost none of its charm, instead carrying a unique allure.

Upon hearing this, he seemed to ponder, as if inspired.

Yan Min was on high alert, "Don't even think about it!"

Ning Rushen gave up, "Alright, alright, I know."

The carriage made its way through the bustling streets to the base of Wanghe Tower.

Located in the bustling southern part of the city, Wanghe Tower was surrounded by a flurry of activity, with people and vehicles coming and going. The guests inside were never-ending, contributing to the lively atmosphere.

Ning Rushen lifted the curtain of the carriage and stepped out.

Dressed in a crimson robe with a white cloak, he was particularly eye-catching among the crowd. As soon as he appeared, a waiter promptly welcomed him inside, "Esteemed guest, please come this way!"

Ning Rushen mentioned Geng Yan's name and was quickly led to a private room on the second floor.

Inside, Geng Yan was already waiting.