Chapter 9

After regaining his composure, Li Yingtan couldn't help but slap his fan in indignation, angrily saying, "How dare that old thief!"

Having vented his anger, he then realized something and asked, "…You entered the Prime Minister's residence?"

"Yes." Shiyi did not dare admit that he had entered as a thief. Bowing, he said, "Please, Your Majesty, punish me!"

Cui Haoyuan, from the outside, had cleaned up well, likely hiding all incriminating evidence within his residence. Even if something was secretly found, it wouldn't be appropriate to publicly present it; if nothing was found and their identities were exposed, it would instead put Li Wuting in a passive position.

Unless they could strike a fatal blow, they could not rashly make a move.

Li Yingtan was worrying about this when he heard a voice beside him saying, "It's alright, it's just an hour earlier than planned."

A cool side profile was illuminated against the backdrop of a vast stretch of pear blossoms blooming behind, with the springtime air carrying a sense of sternness, "Imperial guards, heed my command, mobilize the Northern Command of the Brocade Guards—surround the Prime Minister's residence."

Ning Rushen was bound hands behind his back, leaning against a pile of firewood by a salted fish stall.

The room was too remote, not a sound could be heard. The passage of time became blurred, only the light dimming outside the door and windows was visible.

Dusk was approaching.

Ning Rushen moved his limbs, regretting:

His clothes were torn too much, letting in drafts, now his body was as cold as a fish-slaying knife.

Why hadn't Li Wuting come to raid the Prime Minister's residence yet?

Surely they didn't need to hold a motivational meeting before the raid.

He endured alone for a while, when suddenly a burst of noise came from outside. Mixed with the subtle sound of the wind, it headed straight for his room.

Ning Rushen's heart stirred, and he looked up.

The next moment, the door was pushed open with a "clang."

A Brocade Guard, clad in the imperial flying fish robe, stood at the doorway, his sharp eyes seeming to falter for a moment when they landed on him. Then, gripping his embroidered spring saber, he strode over.

"Commander Yin Zhao of the Northern Command, at your service, Lord Ning."

It was actually the head of the Brocade Guards.

Ning Rushen pushed himself up with the support of the firewood pile.

Having sat for too long, he felt a bit dizzy upon standing, and his black hair slid in front of him as he bowed his head, making his complexion appear even paler, "Thank you for your efforts, Commander Yin."

Yin Zhao couldn't bear to see him like this and offered a hand in support.

Out of the corner of his eye, Ning Rushen caught sight of the thick fabric of the flying fish robe, his gaze seemingly coveting it...

Yin Zhao, "…"

He draped the cloak he had brought over Ning Rushen, "It's by His Majesty's command."

The cloak shielded against the chilly dampness of the spring night.

Ning Rushen snuggled into the cloak, somewhat surprised, "Thank His Majesty for me."

He then looked outside, "And the others?"

"Surrounding the Prime Minister's residence, awaiting orders outside."