XXXV

I was terrified.

Clutch still wasn't back yet, and that revelation unnerved me to my core. The night had passed swiftly. It was now four in the morning.

Where the hell was he?

I'd tried calling him, but there were no answers.

"It shouldn't be taking them this long," I sighed. I had been pacing back and forth for the last hour or so, and I couldn't stop.

What if he'd gotten caught? Then what?

"Calm down," KyRon interjected, "You worry too much."

I shook my head. "I have the right to be worried. Anything could have happened."

"I know Clutch, baby," he sighed. "He know's what he's doing."

I stopped in my tracks and bit my bottom lip. Then, I just looked at Ky. His words usually could always be enough to calm me down. Now, they did nothing to soothe the feelings of anxiety I was suffering from.

"Come sit with me," he said, patting the spot next to him on the hospital bed.

I scoffed. "You know I hate sitting on that hard ass bed!"

"Come sit yo' ass down," he said, sucking his gums.

I rolled my eyes and reluctantly joined him on the bed, trying to find some comfort in his presence despite the anxiety gnawing at me.

As I settled next to him, the scent of antiseptic filled my nostrils, a constant reminder of where we were. His warmth radiated beside me, offering a small solace in the midst of uncertainty. Leaning against his shoulder, I closed my eyes briefly, seeking a moment of respite from the fear that gripped my heart. But every passing second felt like an eternity, each imagined scenario worse than the last. All I could do was wait.

Then, the door flew open, and in ran Clutch, looking frantic and tired.

I sprung up from the bed and headed towards him. "Clutch! Where the hell have you been? We been waiting for you all night."

I noticed that he was shaking. Bad.

"I-is Rodney still alive?" I asked hesitantly.

Ky sat up in the bed, albeit anticipating the answer just like I was.

"No," Clutch claimed. "He's dead. The original plan went to shit. I-uh-I had to shoot him."

I didn't say anything. All I could do was look to KyRon for answers. What was our next move?

"What da' fuck happened?"

"The doctor caught us. He tried to stop us. Ace shot em'. I had to finish the job somehow. Then we ran."

Ky sighed.

"There's more," Clutch said reluctantly. "A officer caught up to me, made me take off my mask. He saw my face, man."

KyRon's expression darkened, his jaw clenching as he processed the news. "Shit," he muttered under his breath. "We need to lay low for a while. Clutch, you gotta bounce nigga. You can't be here right now."

Clutch nodded, his eyes filled with guilt and exhaustion. "I know, I know. I'm sorry, y'all. I fucked up big time."

"There is no laying low. We need to just leave now like we planned," I interjected. "Twelve are bound to find him sooner or later, Ky."

KyRon's gaze flickered between Clutch and me, weighing our options. "He right," he admitted begrudgingly. "We can't risk staying here. Clutch, you head out first. Lay low, change your appearance if you have to. We'll figure out our next move."