XXIII

It had been the next day.

I was in the middle of staring at my new ring in awe when KyRon walked into the bathroom. He looked like he had just woken up from a five-year coma.

"Good morning, my favorite dread-head," I teased, leaning into him as he came up to hug me from the back.

"Favorite? Man, I better be the only one," he said. Then, he started kissing on my neck — the spot that I assumed he knew was the weakest on my body.

As much as I wanted a round two like our night in Miami, I had too much to think about right now.

Still, I had to tell him about yesterday's escapades.

"Ky," I said seriously, making him stop his attack on my neck.

He glanced at me through the mirror. "Wassup Shorty?"

"After your baby-momma dropped off Cameron, a police officer came over here," I told him.

He released me from his hold and just stared at me. "What 'da fuck did they want?"

"One was asking me about my momma...and then she started asking me about Tray. Mind you, she also gave me her name; Ebony."

"Awe, shit," he sighed.

"Then she was like 'tell him I came — he'll know what it's about.' Like, what did she mean by that?" I asked him.

KyRon walked away from me and started pacing. "I knew I should've taken care of Ebony a long time ago. She's always causing problems."

"What you mean by 'take care of her'?" I asked, feeling a bit uneasy. "You knew the girl? For how long.? Who the fuck is she?"

"I mean, I should've handled her when we were together. She was always starting drama and causing problems for me. I thought she was done with that shit, but I guess not."

"Y'all was together? Hold up," I shook my head, trying to process everything. "You was fucking a cop?"

"It wasn't nothing serious," he said. "We was just tryna make a few deals. I needed her on my side so I could do certain shit around the city. We just came to a mutual agreement that if I fucked wit her then she would help me with a few things."

"Nigga, what!" I said laughing because this whole thing sounded Ludacris to me. "Fuck with her how?"

"I was supposed to let her in on some of the money we got coming in. In return, she keep us cool off the police," he explained.

"Do you think she's trying to frame you for something?" I asked, feeling worried.

"I don't know, but I'm not taking any chances. We need to figure out what she up to," he said, pulling out his phone.

He made a call to someone, but he was speaking in a low tone, so I couldn't hear who he was talking to or what they were saying.

After he hung up, he turned to me. "We're going to have to be careful from now on. I don't want shit starting to unfold because of me."

"I want you to be careful, too," he added.

"I'll be careful," I promised, feeling a sense of unease settle over me. I knew things were going to get complicated.

Damn, we just couldn't breathe without shit hitting the fan.

KyRon put his arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. "Don't worry, Shorty. We'll figure it out together," he whispered in my ear.

I closed my eyes, taking comfort in his embrace. I knew his words were genuine, and I didn't doubt that he was just doing what he needed to go to get by.