Extra: Inner workings of the criminal mind

Taryn sighed and leaned on the fence. Itachi had asked her to meet him here without the others knowing. She wasn't sure what he wanted, but she was curious enough to accept without hesitation.
Itachi had always been secretive.

She didn't hear his footsteps, but she felt his presence. He quietly joined her and looked out over the valley below.

Taryn didn't say a word. It was best to wait for him to speak.

"Orochimaru is leaving Akatsuki," Itachi said.

Taryn nodded. She had already heard that. "I know," she said. She was glad for it. Ever since the snake man had given her that mark, he had been giving her looks that freaked her out.

"I want you to go with him," Itachi continued.

Slowly Taryn turned to him. She must not have heard him right. "Say what?"

"I want you to go with him," Itachi repeated calmly.

"No." How could he even suggest that?

"Taryn please." His voice was steady, but held a pleading tone.

"Why?" she growled. This time she would get answers from him. "Is this the same as when you chased me out of Konoha?"

For a moment he didn't respond. "No," he finally said, "it's not."

Taryn crossed her arms. "What then." He wasn't going to get away this easily. This time she wouldn't just let him chase her way. Not without a reason.

Itachi reached out his hand and brushed the hair away from her shoulder and let his fingers rest on the mark in her neck. "If Orochimaru leaves," he said, "the others won't let you stay here. They won't trust you anymore. Not as long as you have that curse mark."

Taryn snorted. "I'm not that easy a target."

"Go with him, Taryn," Itachi said in a more demanding tone.

She narrowed her eyes. "I don't want to go with him. I hate his guts."

Apparently that amused him. A small smile appeared on his lips. "You should still go," he said quietly, "he marked you because you are useful to him. He won't harm you."

"I'm not concerned about that," Taryn growled. Who did he think he was talking to? "I just don't want to go with him."

"I need you to do something for me," Itachi stopped her stream of words.

Taryn stared at him. He needed a favor? She eyed him cautiously. "What do you mean?"

Itachi sighed. "Orochimaru wants Sharingan," he told her, "he has already tried to take it from me."

"I know that," Taryn answered.

Itachi nodded. "He'll want Byakugan next," he continued.

It made her laugh. "He's not going to get it," she assured him, "besides, he wants Sharingan more. He knows he can never take it from you."

"I'm not the only Sharingan user," Itachi stated.

Taryn frowned. Of course, she knew that. "Kakashi?" she asked, "but... " His Sharingan was not his own. It wouldn't be as useful as Itachi's.

"No," Itachi cut her off, "not him. His Sharingan is not original. It's useless to Orochimaru. He wants an Uchiha Sharingan."

Just as she had thought. Taryn thought for a long time. Were there more Sharingan users? But how was that even possible? She turned to face him fully. "Then who?"

Itachi sighed. If he told her now, she wasn't going to let it go. But what choice did he have? He needed her help. He couldn't leave Akatsuki. Someone needed to keep an eye on Orochimaru. And Taryn was the only one he dared to trust.
He sighed again. "Sasuke," he answered.