(29) Rumors

It was the first day back at school from your hectic summer vacation, as soon as you reached the school gates you were flooded with questions.

     Saiki, who was walking beside you, helped guide you out of the situation. There were too many people for your liking crowding around you, Saiki took notice of it through your thoughts.

    It was acts like this that made you fall deeper in love with him.

     You and Saiki saw people crowded around the cork board, it looked like it had some type of newspaper on it.

     You knew it wasn't a real newspaper though, just some try hard journalists in the newspaper club.

     You still wanted to take a look at it anyways, you were practically dragging Saiki through the mob of people by his wrist so you both could see.

     It was something simple, just some information about the kids that went missing on a cruise trip and came back alive. They tried to black-out everyone's photos but the silhouettes still remained, people from the group were easily identifiable.

     Then, a girl with black hair and a freckle on the left side of her chin came up to both of you.

     "Hey, this school hasn't been buzzing like this for a long time, huh? How would you guys feel about a private interview for the school paper? It would really boost your reputation!" The girl blabbered on, the tone of her voice made her seem condescending and rude, you just didn't like the feel of this girl.

     Saiki interrupted her mid sentence, "No thanks." and just walked away with you, both of you leaving the girl dumbfounded.

     You wish you could say classes went on as regular, but they didn't.

     You couldn't go five minutes without being asked questions, and neither could your friends. Some of them liked the attention, some of them wanted to stay out of it.

     In gym class, you and Saiki decided to end up skipping. You both had grown irritable from everyone's questions and wanted to get away.

     "I didn't think you'd actually say yes to skipping, I'm impressed." Saiki spoke, he was right. You weren't one to skip, you were actually a pretty good student, well...you tried to be.

     You used to be a straight A student, but recently you were slipping, from A's, to B's, and now to C's. You felt like summer break only added more stress to your school life.

     The fact of the matter was, you were starting to get burnt out. Staying up late studying and giving up your hobbies was the norm for you now, and so was feeling absolutely miserable when your not around your friends.

     "I just wanted to try it, that's all." You responded, checking your phone for the time. 12:18 pm.

     "Y/N, you know you can't hide anything from me. What's been stressing you out?" Saiki stated, he was being way more straight forward then he was before he told you about his psychic powers.

     "Kusuo, I'm sure you already know by now. We're neighbors and we practically spend every minute together, you are literally forced to read my thoughts 24/7" you replied, chuckling at the last bit, trying to lighten the mood.

     "I just thought maybe talking about your problems would help you more then just thinking about them." Saiki spoke, he wasn't wrong, you sort of wanted someone to talk to.

     You started to slowly spill your guts out to him, whatever problems you had, he listened to each and every one of them.

     While you were rambling, a tear found it's way out of the corner of your eye, before you could even realize you were crying, Saiki wiped away the tear and pecked the corner of your eye.

     You were confused for a second, but realized he was trying to comfort you. You smiled, Saiki was reassuring and kind at times when he really needed to.

     Unknowing to you both, someone was sneaking pictures of you two.

*~Time skip to Tomorrow~*

     You saw people crowding around the cork board in the morning again, with saiki at your side. Now this really peaked your interest, you thought people would be over the gossip after yesterday.

     As you and Saiki grew closer to the board, you started to get a closer look at the freshly printed newspaper.

     "Kusuo Saiki cheating on both Riki Nendo and F/N L/N?"

     Below it were pictures of you and Saiki the day before when he kissed the outer corner of your eye, and another paper claiming Saiki and Nendo were in a relationship even though it was frankly obvious they were just friends.

     Then, while you and Saiki were getting mobbed with questions, the same black haired woman came back to talk again.

     "You now see what happens when you defy the newspaper club? If you both just give me an interview, I can clear this right up, understood?"

     At this point, your blood was boiling.

     Most of the time, you were a very level headed person, and didn't let your emotions get the better of you.

     This was not most of the time.

     "I'm sorry, do you not realize how fucking sad this is? Just because we didn't answer some dumb questions of yours, you decided to spread rumors about Kusuo?" You started, you were going on an entire rant, people had started to gather, but at this point, you just accepted that you were going to be the center of attention.

     You continued, "This is some real depressing shit on your behalf, not to mention petty. Now, get yourself out of my fucking face." you finished, your tone was low, and firm. The only time you had actually yelled at someone else was at Saiko when he first transferred.

     You saw that people had recorded the whole thing, some people even shouting "WORLDSTARR" indicating they wanted a real fight, but you dragged Saiki to class.

     "Pretty brave of you to do that." Saiki spoke, holding your hand.

     "It wasn't brave, I was mad." You responded, squeezing his hand tighter.

A/N: IM SO SORRY I LEFT YALL HANGING FOR 3 WEEKS 😭😭😭 school isn't giving me any breathing room to write or anything and I'm currently struggling to find the motivation to do so aswell. I hope you guys know where I'm coming from and I absolutely did not mean to leave this book for 3 weeks 😭 anyways hope y'all enjoyed this chapter 🫶🫶