Chapter 14: Love

Thanks to Steve's precise timing, once we jumped from the helicopter we landed on the ground in less than a second, leaving us all perfectly fine.

I looked around to do a head check, and saw Matthew was missing.

"Wait, where's Matthew?!"

"I don't know. He probably screwed up the jump," Steve said.

"Sounds like him," Josh joked.

I scoffed, then yelled worriedly "He could be hurt! Or worse!"

"He'll regenerate from anything that hurts him. If anything is able get through his thick skull, that is."

"Dammit, guys! Shouldn't you be concerned for him?!"

"With all due respect Samantha, Knightmare will be here any minute. All we can do for now is trust Matthew will get to us safely," Dylan said respectfully.

"Ugh! Fine, if none of you will go search for him, I'll do it myself," I said before turning to the collapsed hole in the mountain range.

I swear, if you're dead..., I thought before falling into the hole.

* * *

I looked into my son's eyes, so desperate and pained, and I was half-tempted to let loose a steam of tears. But before I could do that, I first had to pull him up.

I shook my head to snap myself back into reality, then pulled him up. Once he was on the platform, we immediately grabbed each other in the tightest hug ever, and Matthew began crying into my shoulder, which caused me to let loose my own stream of tears.

Even though I knew this was temporary, I was the happiest I'd been since he was born, now that I was around him again.

"I-I can't believe you're alive," Matthew whimpered.

"I know, and I'm sorry... but faking my death was the only way to protect you and your brother."

We released the hug, and sat down on the edge of the platform, our legs hanging off.

"What do you mean," my son asked.

"Soon after Steve's and my battle with Robert... Knightmare visited me in a dream. He told me... he told me he wanted to make a deal."

"What kind of deal," Matthew asked.

"I... he told me... he said that if I left your life, that if I abandoned you... he wouldn't kill you. You may not understand, but as your father... I will do anything to keep you two alive."

...

"I understand if you need some space for the time being," I said knowingly.

"Oh, don't worry. All that matters is that you're back," Matthew said confidently.

"Don't do this son. I know when you're hiding something. You should express how you feel... no matter what."

Matthew slouched, then said "I know... it's just... Elijah. Robert's turned him against me... against us."

I stood up, looking down at my son before saying "Then we bring him back to the light. If Robert could convince e him to join him... we could convince Elijah to come back."

"It's not that simple. He hates me... he thinks I caused your 'suicide'."

"Then we show him me. He'll realize he's been wrong, and reject Robert's li-"

Matthew stood up, then said loud and with fear "You don't understand! He's determined to place blame on me! If we show him you... he'll think I was keeping you to myself, or something like that."