Chapter 10: I Hate Photography

~Violet's POV~

I like being alone. I do. I really do. It leaves me alone with my thoughts.

But sometimes, when you're lost in thought, you don't realize what's happening around you.

For example, you walked into photography class (the only class you looked forward to all day) and chose to sit alone in the farthest circular table from the front of the room and get so lost in thought you don't immediately notice when three guys sit at the table you're sitting at.

I was looking down at the table and tracing the patterns on the wood thinking about life when I heard someone near me cough.

Startled, I actually jumped a little in my seat.

I looked up to see Kai across from me. And when I looked to my right I saw Noah. And to my left Marco.

"Great," I muttered under my breath and made the move to get up from my seat.

No way am I sitting next to these three.

"Settle down class," Mrs. Lane (the only teacher's name I bothered to learn) said from the front of the class looking directly at me with an apologetic look.

I've been getting a lot of those from teachers lately.

I sighed, and with no other choice, sat down.

"Violet, I need to talk to you," Marco whispered from beside me.

"I don't want to talk to you, Marco," I replied, looking attentively at Mrs. Lane. Noah and Kai were pretending not to be listening in our conversation and also watched as Mrs. Lane explained today's task.

Wow. This is bad. We are using each other's real names.

"Please, Princess," he whispered with a hint of desperation in his voice.

I saw both Kai's and Noah's eyes widen at his plea from my peripheral vision. Whether it was because Marco said "please," or called me, "Princess," I would never know.

"I told you not to call me that, Romeo. I don't want to hear what you have to say," I whispered back.

Please, Mrs. Lane, hurry up and let me grab a camera and leave this classroom.

"Today we will be working on adding to your project portfolios. So far, you should have a picture of something from nature and something that shows texture. This week, your task is to go around campus and take a picture of something beautiful. This is my personal favorite portfolio item because it's a more personal representation of what you find beautiful. You have three classes including this one to take and choose your photo. As always, you must walk around campus with a partner from your table and I will be checking in to make sure you are following all directions. You may now go find your assigned memory chips and choose a camera," she said.

The words, "you must walk around campus with a partner from your table," echoed through my head.

I let my head slam down against the table.

"No," I said into the desk.

"Yes," Marco countered.

Why does the universe hate me so?

I raised my head to see Noah and Kai had already left the table and were grabbing cameras. For the first time this period, I looked over at Marco.

His face had a perfectly balanced mixture of happiness and sadness.

Interesting.

"Violet?" Mrs. Lane asked in front of me. I turned to face her.

"Yes?" I asked.