Chapter 4: Chocolate

~Violet's POV~

I was shocked by his response. My eyes darted back to his. His face was unreadable.

He sends me more mixed signals than I can keep up with.

I genuinely had no idea what possessed me to ask him that question. I honestly didn't even expect him to respond. I honestly didn't know what to expect at all!

One moment we were throwing insults at each other, the next he grabbed my wrist to make me stop walking, a burning inferno in his brown, brown eyes.

And he said my mood wings were giving him whiplash?

He was still looking at me. I was still looking at him. Into his eyes. Those intense, gorgeous eyes were medium brown with caramel in the center and led out to a dark brown that made my heartbeat quicken.

He was easily one of the most handsome boys I had ever seen in my life. His skin was tan and slightly scarred in certain places. His black hair was, for lack of a better word, fluffed, wavy, and middle-parted. His eyebrows were as black as his hair and thick. And so were his long eyelashes that I was totally jealous over. And his lips... Why am I looking at his lips?

His thumb was still rubbing my wrist in a circular motion, but I pulled my arm away, looking away from his... uh... definitely not his lips.

Violet. Stop. Get yourself together. He may say he's not like everyone else, and that might even be true, but you know you can't. Your dad...

"I have to go," I said, lacking any other possible statement. I turned away from him, fully prepared to leave him standing there on his own, until he started walking again next to me.

Does he ever give up? I felt my jaw clench. Take one of my many, many hints.

"Where are you going?" he questioned.

I didn't answer.

Ignore him and he'll go away like the rest.

Wow, this place is a maze.

"I said," he said as he pulled on my arm and then pushed me up against the lockers coating the hallway walls.

Shocked by the sudden gesture, I gasped. With my back against the lockers, he put both his hands from his outstretched arms beside my shoulders, giving me no room for escape.

Wow, he was tall. He peered down at me while some of his hair fell more in front of his face as he leaned in.

"Where are you going?" he repeated, voice dark like I'd never heard before. I resisted the urge to shiver.

You can't let him see he unnerves you. You are the bad bitch, Violet. Act like it.

"If you must know, Romeo, I'm heading off campus. Each class is forty-five minutes long on Mondays, and by my count, I have thirty minutes to myself," I said, making sure to emphasize the last word.

I hoped he couldn't hear my loud, traitorous heartbeat echo through the corridors at our positions.

"You can try to talk me out of it, but I'm fully prepared to ignore you," I added when he said nothing in response.

His dark eyes burned into me like a brand.

"Are you going to move? Or am I going to have to make you more? You know I can," I threatened.

He smirked at me.

What is he thinking about?

To my surprise, he leaned in. His face moved towards mine and I was as solid as a statue. He turned his head last second so that our faces didn't collide and so that his head was next to mine.