Chapter 7- Part I

Jane entered the hospital cabin. The room smelled like medicines and cleanliness, like how a hospital would smell. There wasn't a single sound other than the monitor beeping beside the bed. On the bed, lay a twelve-year-old girl. Her beautiful, young face lay upwards, nasal cannulas inserted in her nose, and her eyes closed, but Jane remembered how her eyes were bright emerald green, just like Jane's. Her long, straight, brunette hair lay smoothed against her hands and body.

Jane smiles sadly and looks at her motionless sister. She moves to the chair beside her.

"Hey Ari," said Jane, knowing she wouldn't get an answer in return. She continued, "So daily update from my side of the world- it's a mess. Well, the world isn't a mess, I'm a mess. I mean, how would you feel if the only person who you trust betrays you?"

She pauses, thinking about the answer herself in her mind, but couldn't find any. She then shifts to another subject.

"Remember Ari, the time when dad gave us only one 20-dollar note for New Year's carnival? I wanted a Barbie doll while Alex wanted a nerf gun. We had a huge argument for the money, almost at each other's throat...." she scoffs then continues, "And then six-year-old you came in and tore the note in half, and gave me one and Alex one. We were so dumbfounded." Jane laughed remembering her and Alex's expressions back then. "I guess that was the first time I understood the importance of sharing. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that you were always the wise one, even if you were the youngest amongst us. And you always knew the solution, you knew how to bring Alex and me back together. You knew how to keep the family together. We really need you Ariana.....so please just wake up." Jane realized that tears were pouring down her cheek and quickly wiped it off.

Suddenly she saw that Ariana's index finger moved a little. At first, she thought she hallucinated it because she was wiping her blurry eyes, but then all her fingers started to rise up. Jane quickly got up from her chair and shouted, "We need a doctor here quick!"