Chapter 11

"Amaya." Mattheo's soft voice called, "Look at me, please?"

I refused.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Mattheo continued, "I just can't have you doing that to yourself."

"But it's okay for you to do it?" I retorted as he opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off, "No. You don't get to speak. Get out."

"Amaya-"

"Get out! I can't look at you!" I screamed and glared at him.

He looked into my eyes with the same expression he did on the night at the Astronomy Tower.

"What is it?! Do you really have to look at me like that!?" I yelled, getting fed up with him, "Am I that ugly?!"

"No no no no no. You're not ugly at all. You're beautiful, in fact. But your eyes..." Mattheo trailed off.

I ran to the bathroom, to see my eyes were glowing bright red.

"What did you do!?" I screamed at Mattheo.

"Nothing, I swear!" he defended himself.

"You know what, I don't care. You hurt yourself. Because of me." I cried, sinking back into my corner.

Mattheo's face softened, "No, no it wasn't because of you."

"Yes it was! I hurt myself, so you did! If I didn't hurt myself, would you have hurt yourself?" I questioned as he stayed silent.

"That's what I thought." I said, then quieter, "I'm a horrible person. I can't keep hurting people."

"No." Mattheo insisted, kneeling down at me, "You are amazing. You didn't hurt me. I did. And now I hurt you by hurting myself. That's the last thing I wanted to do. Now I can't forgive myself."

"Stop lying to me," I whispered, "It is my fault."

"No, no it is not. Don't blame yourself for my mistake, please." Mattheo begged.

"Just leave me alone," I whispered, "I can't-I won't let myself hurt you, or anyone else, ever again."

"I'm fine, I promise you." Mattheo assured me, "Look, look."

He took out his wand and waved it over his hand while muttering something. His cut went away.

"See? I'm okay." he told me softly.

I kept crying, "I could still hurt you, or someone else in the future, and I'm not doing that."

"Hey, look at me," Mattheo held my face, "I will never let anyone hurt you again. Not even yourself."

"Just p-please, don't hurt yourself. Don't let me hurt you." I pleaded.

"I won't," he promised.

"Thank you, Mattheo."

"Call me Theo."

I smiled at his remembrance of my nickname for him.

"One more thing," Mattheo paused, "I do really like you. Can I...umm...can I take you out on a date?"

"A-a date?" I stuttered, "I don't know..."

"Please?" he looked at me and I couldn't say no.

"Fine,"  I said, reluctantly, "But...you should know..."

"Hmm?" he hummed in curiosity.

"I've kinda sorta never been on a date before," I said quickly.

He smiled and laughed. I thought he would make fun of me for never going on a date before, but instead he reassured me, "Don't worry. You'll be fine. You'll be perfect. Now meet me at the Black Lake in an hour."

I nodded.

"One more thing," he called while walking out the door, "No one can know about us."