Chapter 46 : Mission

"What do you mean by that, your highness?" I ask in surprise after hearing what Prince Alaric has suggested.

We are currently inside my room, where Prince Alaric, Aiden, Brother Rian, and I are discussing. Apparently, it is much more convenient to discuss this in my room rather than in the living room or Brother's office because of the ears that the Duke has placed.

I think he is becoming more... unstable as days passed by. Even brother Rian is starting to get worried about how the Duke constantly lashing out at the maids. Even just this morning before he left, he has beaten up a maid who accidentally spills some water on him.

Because of that, I have been asking Sara to make sure not to bump into him considering what happened between them. I know that technically the event did not actually happen, but... I can't help but worry especially the way he has been behaving.

Today is the first day of the new year. Every year, the year-end festival always started on the last day or two days of the year and it will end on the second or third day of the new year.

"We will send you inside the temple. Her grace, the Saintess has requested you to be released from your crimes and be sent to the temple as a way of redemption," Prince Alaric explains once again.

Auntie Viona requested my freedom? Is that the reason why she asks me to come with her?

She is still staying here at the mansion. She extended her stay here until the end of the week. And so far, I haven't noted anything that will make her suspicious in my eyes. I know she has some dispute with the Duke, but that's it.

"Brother? Do you know about this?" I ask as I shift my attention to my brother who is silently sitting beside Aiden.

"Yes... Auntie has made it clear that she will clear your name and train you as the next Saintess."

Hey... isn't this a good thing for me? If a Saintess is the one who will clear my name and made me her student then, my life... my status here will change. In addition, I will become the next Saintess? Isn't that a bit too good for me?

So the question is, what is the catch?

"I feel like there is more to it than what you are telling me. The situation of my name being cleared that easily is a bit... suspicious," I openly told them making their eyes widen in surprise.

"Pfft...!" I watch as his highness covers his mouth while his shoulders are shaking.

Brother Rian coughs the tea he was sipping as he grabs his handkerchief to wipe his mouth. While Aiden on the other hand did not even bother hiding his laughter as he continues to laugh in the corner.

I... was my reaction really that funny?? I feel like they are overreacting a bit here??

I can feel my cheeks heating up from their reaction as I quietly took a sip of my tea.

"Ahem...! I a-apologize. I wasn't expecting your r-reaction to be like that," After a while, his highness spoke while his cheeks reddened from his contained laughter.

"Anyway, to answer your question... We have a mission for you to do inside the Temple," He added once he manages to finally calm his laughter.

"A mission?" I ask as I tilt my head to the side.

What kind of mission will fit someone like me? And at the Temple? Is there something going on there that they need to investigate?

"Yes, a mission. We can't brief you on all the details right now, but... to provide you some information about what you need to do. Here, please refer to this," He handed me a brown bulky envelope.