Chapter Seventeen

Nikki's POV

I woke up in another sweat. The nightmares have been getting worse recently. I think it has to do with the fact that we're coming up on my moms death anniversary. Two years with out her.

She died two days before my birthday. Which is in 4 days. She was on the way home from a big meeting out of state. She wanted to leave as soon as she could so she made it back home in time. Sadly she never did.

The drunk driver hit her when she was an hour away. If she would've left the next day or at least a couple of hours later she would've been okay. Sometimes I blame myself. If it wasn't for that stupid day I wouldn't have lost my mom. She wouldn't have tried to get back to us as soon as she could. She would still be here. My little sister wouldn't be growing up without a mom, my dad wouldn't be drinking him to sleep almost every night, and I wouldn't have these stupid nightmares that like to wake me up at 4 in the morning.

Knowing I wouldn't be able to sleep again tonight I slowly got out of bed and made my way to the shower. I stood there with the hot water streaming down my back until it began to chill. Taking that as my sign I quickly washed myself and proceeded to get out.

Once I got out I decided to dress myself in, what I like to call it, my 'I don't give a fuck' outfit. The outfit is basically my white T-shirt under a black and blue flannel, my grey sweatpants, and my white Nike airforces.

I checked the time, seeing that it was only 6 in the morning. Not wanting to sit around and do nothing for the next hour I decided to go downstairs and make breakfast. Surprisingly when I got downstairs I didn't see my dad passed out on the couch or bottles laying around. I wonder if that means he didn't drink last night.

I made some eggs, bacon, toast, and cut up some fruit for myself and my family. I also decided to make my dad a cup of coffee so he wouldn't have to bad of a day. When I finished plating my dad came downstairs and grumbled something before giving up on tying his tie.

I walked up to him and did it for him. "Good morning dad."

He sighed a breath of relief before looking in the kitchen. "Thanks sweetie. Did you make all of this?" He asked as he sat down in his spot.

"I did." I said with a nod. "Is Jenna up yet?" I asked him before sitting in my spot as well.

He gave me a slight nod before digging into his plate. I decided to start eating as well. A couple minutes later Jenna came down and joined us. We talked about the plans for the week as a family. We decided that we would take a trip to the cemetery sometime this week, in order to pay my mom some respects.

Once everyone was done my dad announced that he was leaving and gave Jenna and I both a kiss on the forehead before taking off. Thankfully Jenna had a ride to school so I didn't have to take the unnecessary trip to the middle school. As soon as I gathered everyone's dishes and began to wash them Anne came storming into the house.

"Nikki what are you doing? We have to leave soon." She asked as she plopped herself on one of the counter stools.

I grabbed the spare plate I made for her and placed it in front of her. "Eat first. Then we'll leave."

She rolled her eyes before digging in. "Nightmares?" She asked with a mouth full of food.

"Yes. Now chew your food before speaking." I told her. "Yes mom." She said, her mouth still full of food.

Anne knows that the only time I distract myself and make food is when I have the bad nightmares that keep me up. She doesn't push too much usually. I know she's concerned about me, and I hat worrying her, it's just not something I can control. I also don't really like talking about them verbally.