Chapter Twelve

Nikki's POV

"Nikki! Get your ass down here and help!" Anne yelled from downstairs. "Anne, I've barely been awake for an hour!" I yelled back.

"I don't care. Now get up and help!" I rolled my eyes at her, getting up in the process still.

Anne and her family always came to spend thanksgiving with us. Anne was always the one that got everyone together and made sure that we were on track for the day. Right now her and her family were making breakfast for everyone. Not only was dinner a big meal for them, but all of them were. We always had some sort of big meal for all 3 meals. It was exhausting but fun in a way.

Break had started last Friday, but if we're being honest I hadn't gotten one. I was busy with basketball the first half of the break. Games and tournaments back to back. Then the preparations and family coming together.

All of this left me little to no time to spend with Mia. We had gotten to talk a little on the phone, but for the most part it's been very sparse.

I groaned as I got out of bed. Checking myself in the mirror before walking out to make sure I looked presentable. As soon as I stepped down the stairs I was met by the strong and delicious smell of breakfast.

We were having an assortment of different foods. Eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, waffles, French toast. It was almost like a breakfast buffet.

"Good morning Nikki." Anne's mom said as she was pouring a mixture in a pan. "Good morning Lisa." I replied. I walked up beside her just as Anne came back with some bread in her hands.

"Before you ask Nikki, yes you can help by chopping some of the fruit up." Anne said, placing the bread on the counter. I rolled my eyes at how demanding she was being.

We all got to work. Soon settling down and eating together. Anne's close family was here. Her mom, dad, brother, grandma, and grandpa. Of course my sister and dad were here with us. This is how it's always been. Anne's Mom and mine were best friends since college, so they of course wanted their first children to be best friends too.

When they had Anne's older brother, they knew that that wasn't going to happen so easily since my parents struggled to have children. When my mom found out that she was finally pregnant 3 years later, Anne's mom didn't have any issue with trying for another.

That led to Anne and I being born a couple months apart, me being older, but us being the closest of friends.

Anne's mom and family was just as effected with my mom's passing as we were. In the end, it drew us all together more. Anne's mom stepping in to comfort all of us and make sure that we were all safe and good.

Our plans for after breakfast are simple. The siblings are going to do the cleaning while the parents get ready for dinner and lunch. Thankfully the lunch can be made outside while the dinner is cooking inside. Since I love to be in the kitchen, I agreed to help with the clean up and then hop in with cooking.

Anne's cousins and aunts and uncles would be coming later with some of their own dishes to pitch in. They always did this even though we never ask them to.

I was in the middle of preparing one of the casseroles when my phone lit up. I wiped my hands on a towel before opening the message, a smile immediately coming onto my face.

Mia:

Hey you, happy thanksgiving! I'm so thankful to have you in my life, and I can't wait till I get to see you again. <3

Nikki:

Happy thanksgiving love

I'm thankful for you too