𝟐𝟑, 𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐞

Chapter twenty three.
Augustine.
[tw: abuse/torture]

No matter what mask is used throughout the day, everyone's true face will shine through

No matter what mask is used throughout the day, everyone's true face will shine through. Now, wearing a literal mask like most heroes do, you don't get to actually see their face, that's the whole point. But knowing that even with the mask on, they are still themselves. Heroes are the ones who see good and try and fix the mistakes of others. Trying to save people in a way they never could as a nobody. Only sometimes when you try and save people it doesn't turn out as planned. You could end up making the situation worse then what it was originally. Only you won't know unless you try, but what if simply trying is what could make a much bigger impact than anything you could have expected?

The room was dark and cold. The breeze from the window that had been two thirds of the way open was felt against her skin. Her eyes remained shut while her right hand was in a fist. Her right palm had been red from the amount of pressure she'd had inflicted on herself by having her nails dig into her skin. Biting the inside of her cheek so she wouldn't make a sound. It was somewhat of a daily routine. She knew what to do to make it feel like time went by faster, but in reality she knew she always stayed in that room for an hour and forty five minutes. Those one hundred and five minutes often felt like days. It would depend on the procedure.

To her surprise it only lasted about an hour this time. It had been the a surgery this time. They had surgically removed the spleen from the upper abdomen. Looking down at the major cut having been in her upper abdomen, they had been in slight disappointment as the super natural healing hadn't kicked in. 

The healing hadn't been working because the artificial serums injected into her system, to make her a meta human were not properly created. It takes huge amounts of dark matter and proper planning to make meta humans, as most of the ones created are purposeful. But when given abilities by force rather than by choice, things get more complicated. 

Enraged with the failure they felt with not seeing the girl's wound heal, they used a sharp blade that laid beside them and drove it across her skin. A new cut forming all the way down the length of her left forearm. She winced in pain. Biting her tongue to not make any kind of noise. It was abrupt and sponstionous. She felt the knife actually get stabbed into her arm. No longer just a cut. The blood was seen throughout her forearm. It was a darker red than usual. It was then that black veins starting making their way over her arms and face. The normally brown eyes she had seemed to roll to the back of her head. They were black now. Pitch black.

The knife that had been stabbed into her arm now had a black hue surrounding it. She had her right hand over the knife. It was taken out of her arm by the energetic manipulative pull. The knife had been blasted across the room and stabbed a so called nurse in the shoulder. Turning back to the person who had been trying to get a meta human reaction, she glared at them.

A wave of harsh electricity was felt on her back. A blaring scream was heard on her behalf. High pitched vibration were felt and sent almost all the objects in the rom flying back. A metal neck brace like device was placed around her neck in an instant. Her eyes faded to their normal brown color. Looking around she saw what she had done. Down on her arm she had a sickening scar that would not heal fully any time soon.