40. Cyber Stalking

Ryan

I sat in my bedroom, strumming on my guitar, practicing my performance for English class next week.

Usually when I played my guitar, it was like the world didn't exist. I would get lost in it. But today, even playing my guitar couldn't stop me thinking about Elijah.

Nate burst into the room.

"Wow, you were amazing in school today!" he said excitedly, throwing his bag onto his bed, and then following it with his body.

"Thanks," I mumbled, not sure how to deal with a compliment from Nate.

"Seriously!" he said. "It was all the whole school was talking about all day! Everyone kept coming over and asking me if I knew you could sing like that."

I was quite surprised by that. After we had repeated our performance from the concert for the whole school, I was expecting that the gossip would be around me being bi-sexual, or some of the other comments we wrote, rather than my singing.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Yeah!" he replied. "People are saying you should apply to go on the x-factor or one of those shows!"

I let out a snort of laughter. "I'd rather be dead than seen on one of those shows."

Nate put on his sulking face, but it only lasted a couple of seconds.

"I got 4 different girls phone numbers today!" he said, pulling out his phone and showing me which ones were new.

I chuckled at him.

"Well at least someone gets to benefit from my awesomeness!" I said, handing his phone back.

"Oh come on, you must have benefitted too! How many times were you asked out today? I bet it was more than 4!"

I just smiled and turned away. Truth was I had been asked out, several times, but I quickly turned them all down.

"Oh my god, I'm right, aren't I?!" Nate said, practically bouncing on his bed. "Any hot ones?"

"I'm not interested," I said, shaking my head.

"What?!!! Come on, why waste the opportunity?!!"

"Because I asked someone else out. I'm taken."

"There's nothing wrong with playing the field," Nate said with a smirk.

"Yes there is," I said, giving him a stern look. "It'll get you nowhere but the hospital with an itchy dick."

Nate burst out laughing. "Oh my god, who are you and what've you done with my brother?!"

I shrugged. "I'm in a committed relationship and happy."

"Committed?" he said, still laughing like this was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. "Do you even know the meaning of that word? You've only just started going out today! Who is it anyway? Anyone I know?"

For some reason, my stomach clenched a little at having to tell Nate. Not because I was embarrassed, or because it was a boy. It was because I was scared that Nate would tell me that Elijah was too good for me, and that I would screw this up. I already had these fears, but I really didn't need to hear it confirmed.

"It's Elijah," I said quietly.

That stopped Nate laughing immediately.

"Shit! Really?!"

"Yes, really," I said with a sigh. "And I know what you're going to say. And yes, I know he's too good for me and I know I'll probably screw this up, but-"