25. Ryan's Little Boy Toy (and his Sidekick)

Elijah

I stared at my phone a little bewildered.

"What was that about?" I mumbled to myself.

When I'd called Ryan, Nate had answered, sounding a little stressed. And then he told me that Ryan couldn't come to the phone but he would put it on speakerphone and to shout to him so he could hear me.

When I was shouting his name, it sounded like chaos in the background. At first I thought someone had the TV on, but then I heard what sounded like his mum screaming Ryan's name.

And then the phone went dead. I'd tried ringing back, but it just went straight to voicemail.

I paced up and down my room in agitation.

What had happened? Should I go to his house and see if he was ok?

I was way out of my depth, so I decided to group text my music friends.

I need some advice. I called Ryan and all I could hear on the other end was shouting and fighting. Then he hung up and now his phone is off. Should I be worried and should I go round?

I didn't have to wait long.

Franz45: What would you do if you did go round? I'm sure Ryan will be fine.

Beth: I'd be worried. Something bad could have happened.

Franz45: It's Ryan, something bad always happens (Laughing emoji)

I knew Franz was just trying to make me feel better but it wasn't working. I typed out a reply.

I'm actually really worried.

Alicia£: Take the hint. He turned his phone off for a reason.

She had a point there. If he turned his phone off because he didn't want to speak to me, he wouldn't be too happy if I showed up at his door.

You're right, I'll leave it.

The conversation moved on, although I wasn't really participating.

And I was distracted for the rest of the weekend. Ryan never texted me back. I held back from bombarding him with messages about how worried I was. Instead, I just sent him a couple, just asking him if he was alright.

At least it was school tomorrow so I would be able to check he was ok.

Except he wasn't in. Or on Tuesday either.

It was Wednesday lunch time and I was standing on the path, staring at the sports sheds behind which Freddie and Jonas were hanging out, judging by the waft of smoke I kept seeing coming over the roof.

"What you doing?" Franz asked, making me startle.

"Where did you come from?" I asked, my heart still hammering from his sudden intrusion.

"I was crossing the quad and saw you all the way over here, just standing here staring at nothing. So what are you doing?"

I sighed. "I'm debating whether I should go and ask Jonas and Freddie if they know where Ryan is?"

"Are you stupid?!" he asked, looking at me in disbelief.

"I don't think they'd do anything to me. Would they?"

"Maybe not, but is it really worth the risk? I mean, even if they did know where Ryan was do you think they'd tell you?"

I thought about it. Maybe they wouldn't. But I couldn't decide right now which was worse. The idea of getting a little bashed up by Freddie and Jonus or another day of worrying about Ryan. It was literally driving me insane. I'd never fixated so much on anything in my life, and that was saying something for me.