27 How It Should've Been

Ace's POV_

It's been almost a year since saying "I love you" to Skylar.

Since the fear of losing my mate, I loved her with all my heart. Her and I's relationship ended up exactly how we wanted it to. We gave ourselves time to recover from our stupid decisions as mates. Shockingly, my powers never showed up again after that incident. I no longer held a sharp flame in my chest. About five months later, we completed the mate process. My bite mark was adorned on her neck, as likewise. 

But tonight, we'd push the relationship even further. 

I smile to Jaxon as he stood in front of me. Mel and him have already had two children- twins. Apparently she was in early pregnancy by the time Skylar and I made up. She received a rather loud earful from her best friend. All of that aside though, I don't think I've ever seen Jaxon so ecstatic. 

Me on the other hand, I have anger management classes. I'm trying my damndest to make the people around me feel safe. Unlike before as Alpha, I'm now volunteering more often. I've been fighting to eradicate the stigma about me and my secretiveness. Truth be told...I began to hate when people looked to me in fear. I wanted to love and learn to be open. So far, it's been a major success. 

My pack along with many others had formed the "Unified Packs". It's much like the "United Nations", but with our small populations. We stuck together to go around and form consultation buildings for rouges. Slowly but surely, those rouges began to join our packs. Majority of rouges were just born into it, so we fought that issue. 

For once, I made a name for myself that wasn't negative. 

Much to Skylar's pleasure, she even managed to get into an amazing college. It was her dream that she'd get an education so that she would work in aquatic biology. The route on the way to her school was still almost two hours though. While I was rather displeased that there was a distance between us, I was thrilled. If it meant I'd have to be apart from her in order for her happiness to blossom, I'd gladly give that much up. 

I guess that's why I feel a need to propose to her on her last day in town today.

"Are you ready for this, Ace?" Jaxon lifted an eyebrow in questioning. 

I pull out the engagement ring that I bought for Skylar. It was a delicate gold ring with a diamond woven into it. It was a rather simplistic ring with nothing too intricate. Our names were engraved on the inside part, but that's the extent of it. She had told me a while ago that she actually preferred it that way. Skylar also told me that she just wanted to marry me; with or without a ring. A joke even surfaced of me proposing to her with a ring pop. I laughed at the thought of it as I put the ring back in my pocket. 

"Jax..." I chuckled and shook my head. "I've been ready since the moment I saw her."

"Yeah, except you were a fucking idiot back then." My jaw dropped as I placed my hand over my heart. 

"You really hurt my feelings, Jaxxie." I give him the puppy dog eyes as he let out a loud scoff. 

"I really don't care." Jaxon smirked as he shoved a suit into my chest. "You have stuff to do, go do it."

"A suit is not needed." I smirk as I waltz past him. 

"Ace! You have to make this special!" He screamed at me from the hallway as I laughed and continued walking.  

"Who said it won't be.." I mumble to myself as I go to Skylar and I's bedroom. 

I slowly peek my head into our room with a smirk on my face. Luckily for me, she was in the shower. That buys me almost an hour worth of time. 

I walk over to a carboard box I hid in a corner of the room. I unravel the flaps of it and pull out a crap ton of bags worth of rose petals. Taking my time, I also pulled out a letter that I had neatly wrote on with inked cursive. Leaving it neatly folded up, I placed it at the foot of the bed. She was sure to read it once she got out of the shower. The letter had read:

My Dearest Skylar, 

Meet me in the Northern Field of Flowers. 

It was short and sweet, but to the point. The Field of Flowers was only about a few minute walk away. I pop all of the rose bags open and throw the petals all on my bed and around the base of it. I really hope she likes it. 

X

"You guys fixed it all up?" I ask Mel and Jaxon as I approached them in The Field of Flowers.

There was a rather small clearing in the shape of a circle that was enveloped by all kinds of flowers. A radio was set up on the ground with a picnic basket and blanket laid out. A smile immediately crept up on my face as I thanked them profusely. I shooed them off while they tried their best to encourage me. 

I sat around waiting for my mate, fiddling with the ring in my pocket. I stood there for some while until I began to hear a girl talking. I quickly got down onto one knee and into position. 

"Ace?" Skylar called out for me right before catching a glimpse of me. Her eyes went as wide as the moon, staring at me with so much happiness. 

"Skylar Moore..." A lazy smile dazes on my face. "I am incredibly and indubitably in love with you. We had the rockiest start I think we could have endured. And love, I promise it will never revert back to that." Tears began to form in her eyes. "Even as we stand here today, we are far from perfect. What I want to achieve, is that I marry you and have our very own children. Those things come with time, though. So for now...I'd be honored for a beautiful and kind hearted woman to say yes to my proposal."

"How could I be given an option?" Skylar now had started to bawl her eyes out right before pouncing on me. "I never thought I could love someone nearly as much as I love you.." 

____

Bonus chapters will be promised. 

End Date: 12-10-20