THIRTEEN

They chartered a Marwa to the station after a passerby informed them it was somewhere around Isolo. It was already evening and the sun was going down, but the tepid humidity was driving her crazy.

At the LASTMA yard there were over 100 impounded vehicles parked. She spotted her own just by the mouth of the yard since they just brought it in.

They went straight to the office and she saw that evil officer behind her troubles. She knew he targeted her car because it was a range rover, just looking at his iron face all relaxed and happy  knowing he has caught a big fish for the day made her blood boil. She shot him dirty looks and he reciprocated the gesture.

After about 30 minutes of waiting they finally called her car plate number and she went to the mini panel abi mobile traffic court, she didn't care about the name tbh. The arbitrating officers looked bored and so done with the job, they looked like they couldn't wait to leave the stuffy and smelly halls. Three yellow stained ceiling fans hung sturdily from the dilapidated ceiling but the way they rotated lazily indicated that they weren't enough to adequately ventilate the space especially with the number of people cramped inside; Danfo conductors, drivers so many traffic offenders. Danfo drivers deserve to be here tho. Those idiots already scratched her new car in less than a month.

She looked at Osaze. His forehead was shiny with sweat. He has been unusually quiet since this whole drama started. Maybe he is regretting his decision of staying back in Naija. She should have let him jejeli go to his Canada.

When they started her case, she ranted furiously as she tried to call out the officer for singling out only her car. In response the officer tried to compound her case by suggesting she committed 'one way' to get to the spot and that was when she lost it. 

'One way' is one of the worst traffic offences you can to be charged for in Lagos if caught. Your car would be impounded for close to  a month and you'd pay for the space, then you'd pay the fine which is about 50k then you'd go for psychiatric evaluation and counselling which you would also pay for so him trying to frame her up with that sent her off the rails.

It was at this point that Osaze finally stepped in. He pulled her aside then told her to go outside and wait. When he joined her outside after 5 minutes or so, he had some papers with him. The evil LASTMA that impounded her car was even gisting with him like they were friends. She wanted to punch him in the face so bad.

"Let's go" Osaze said with a smile.

"Madam, na God save you say this your Oga calm me down. No be because of your character o, if no be for this Chairman, your car for spend one month here" He eyed her as he ordered the smaller officers to open the barricade that locked in her car along with many others.

"Make you dey thank God say you get better husband" He said indirectly praising Osaze.

Bastard. She thought but she knew better than to say it to his face and in the LASTMA's defense she did park illegally. So she just rolled her eyes at him instead and followed Osaze quickly. She didn't blame him she blamed the evil spirit that made her drive down impulsively from VI to Ikeja. Why did she even park there again? Why was she rushing when Osaze's flight was 4:45pm. Then she remembered she wanted to see him and quickly head back to the office. Her laptop and stuff were still in the office, she face palmed and cursed silently.

The sun was setting already she needed to get back to the office before 7pm to get her stuff. If it wasn't Friday she would have just left them till the next day but she wanted to work on Saturday and Sunday.

He was walking towards the front passenger door so she stopped him .

"Please can you drive" She searched for the keys in her bag and tossed it to him. She just wanted to be in her bed already, she was so tired from all the chaotic events that unfolded today.

He nodded in understanding. She was evidently exhausted, mentally, physically and emotionally. She had shed tears for grief, laughter, and anger all in one day. The last thing she wanted to do was drive in Lagos. She was also scared of breaking another traffic rule because it seemed like her village people were on her case.

It was almost past 6:30pm when they got to third mainland bridge. They cruised quietly on the free inward lane against the outgoing traffic towards the mainland on the other side. The sun was setting casting a beautiful orange glow across the Lagos Island skyline and Lagoon . She loved catching the sunset or sunrise on third Mainland Bridge, (that is if she's on the other side of the traffic o) it was always a gorgeous sight to behold. She suddenly felt much better and forgot about how upset she was just some hours ago. 

She smiled and thought about how one second Lagos turns you into a mad person and the next you are a poetic aesthete. She gazed at her new Tenant he was still deep in thought. Maybe he'd get back to normal when his flight finally departs. 

"I should have just let you go back to your Canada, everyone is Mad in this country, myself included"

He chuckled quietly.

Then after some seconds he said "But on a serious note don't ever fight LASTMA"

"Or even police men, especially when you are in the wrong... or if you're alone"

"I Know. But that guy is just....urgh I don't want to remember it again" She pouted.

"Okay, but you need to remember to stay calm when you get into situations like this" He said.

Ahhn ahn, is he schooling me on how to be a Lagosian? Look at this Canada boy. She thought as she scanned him.

"I am serious. If I wasn't there with you today this whole thing would have been complete a mess, you know that right?" He glanced her way this time for an answer.

She quickly nodded shamefacedly so he can turn his focus to the road.

"When it's SARS or if  you're alone, just stay calm and make sure the dashcam is always on"

She looked confused. "Where is the dashcam?" She didn't even know there was a dashcam in the car.

He showed her how to turn it on, playback and insert the memory card, then went on to quickly show her some security features and different modes of the car that she didn't even know.

The glow of the sunset intensified as they approached the end of the bridge and he said;

"Just look at the sunset"

She smiled. "I know right"

In that moment she forgot about all the bad things that happened today, she freed herself of the pressure of getting back to the office before seven, she could always find a way to retrieve her laptop. She felt very lightweight and at peace with herself. It was the kind of feeling she got whenever she was on vacation. She hoped Osaze felt the same way too in that moment. She hoped he wasn't thinking about his failures, his debt or pressured about his future endeavours too.

As if he heard her thought, he took her hand then said "Thank you, for convincing me to stay".

⬇️⬇️⬇️ Don't forget to vote and comment ;)