FIVE

The Salesman at the dealership was one of Sofi's numerous people. The dealership was one the contractors that supplied automobiles to the company she works for so the salesman was extra nice to them.

This was going to be Toyin's third car purchase in 3 years but it was her first time buying from a car dealership in Nigeria. She bought a car for her Mum and Dad two years ago but she imported them from the US through agents.

Buying from Lagos dealerships is too expensive, but spoiling herself today, right now, was top priority. She takes care of everyone in the family, her mother, her father and pays tuition for her little brother in a UK Uni plus he didn't have any kids to take care of or debt to pay so why not.

She had a huge savings account where she saved up money for her long term dream of purchasing a house together with her future husband. She had expatriate status at work because she was head-hunted by the IOC while she was still in the UK completing her Masters so her apartment was provided by her employer and she didn't pay rent. This made it easy for her to build up the savings.

"So what are you interested in?" Sofi asked her nervously, still shocked by her sudden decision to buy a car today.

They were looking at the latest Toyota sedans on display, they looked nice but she wasn't impressed. She wanted something that screamed I have money and I am not afraid of spending it, but those Toyotas were 'whispering' I have money, but I am a responsible spender.

She frowned "I don't know, everything here is-"

"Boring?" The salesman helped her.

She brightened up glad that someone here got her. "Yes!"

Sofi panicked at this point. She was not comfortable with her friend's impulsiveness,  she tried again to change her friend's mind. "Babe, I think you should sleep over this and think of what you REALLY want."

Toyin ignored her for the umpteenth time that afternoon.

"I have something else you might be interested in then. Come with me" The sales man said quickly, before Sofi will succeed at ruining his chance at earning some sweet nice commission today. Despite the fact that she brought the Customer for him.

He took them to another part of the showroom that looked more like a garage than a showroom. There were range rovers parked there. Toyin was giggling with excitement before they even got into the room.

"We also resell luxury cars here," He said proudly then pointed at a white one "This is last year's range rover vogue, the seller brought it in for a distress sale last month"

He pressed the key and all the sophisticated headlights flashed majestically. "Certified tear rubber, the owner only used it for 7 months. And you're in luck because he called in today to bring down the price"

"No thank you, take us back to the Toyotas" Sofi tugged at Toyin's elbow eyeing the Salesman.

Toyin didn't move. She kept on staring at the sleek black car like a tiger that has just spot its prey.

"How much?" She asked, eyes still on the car.

The Salesman couldn't hide his excitement. He knew Sofi was a correct person who knew correct people. Unlike all those useless boys that come here and waste his time.

"Only 23 million" He answered barely hiding the anxiety in his voice.

She sighed "I'll take it"

Sofi feigned a cough then she pulled her friend aside for a heart to heart but Toyin's mind was made up already.

Some minutes later, the Salesman appeared with some papers for her to sign in the lounge. They were offered champagne, but politely declined, Toyin was still recovering from last night.  She transferred a deposit and wrote a cheque for the balance. Her phone started ringing.

"Toyin why are you spending my target!" Her account officer Chioma, who is also her friend wailed on the phone.

"Just so you, I also wrote a cheque to be drawn on Monday" She teased her friend.

"Jesus! Toyin why? I thought you were saving for your house purchase"

Toyin wondered how she even knew she just made a transfer.  "Do you work on Saturdays too? How did you know made a transfer?"

"Sister I monitor my accounts closely 247, also 10 million is not change. You want hunger to kill me in this Lagos. See me here doing ushering work at one dry event sef" She started lamenting.

"Oya, don't worry I'll make it up to you. I'll introduce you to my friend, she'll open a company account" She consoled her winking at a confused Sofi. She knew Chioma was struggling as a new marketer and didn't have enough rich connections to meet up her target every month. The money she fixed with the Bank she works for is not even much but she understood how this purchase could affect Chioma's performance for the month.

Sofi was still talking to the salesman, she wanted him to properly explain their return policy because she didn't trust the fine prints of the document her friend signed. She still couldn't believe that Toyin was really doing this still holding on to the possibility of her changing her mind tomorrow morning.

"He said they can buy it back 5 million less than the invoice price if you return it within a month" Sofi said frowning still uncomfortable "Babe are you sure you want to do this?"

"Madam, you drive a Lexus"

"Yeah but it's my official car, I didn't buy it out of the blue." Sofi was the Head of Administration at Hydra Petroleum Limited, an Indigenous Oil Company.

She was the youngest Head of Department in the Company. Literally started from the bottom as a receptionist seven years ago but rose straight to the top. Unlike the IOC Toyin works for, It is easier to rise faster in smaller indigenous companies that is if you know what you're doing O. Because some people will still go there and be dulling.

She met Sofi during their NYSC years back but she got a Rivers State scholarship for her masters shortly after and was away in the UK for 2 years. They reunited after she returned to Nigeria during an oil and gas conference. Sofi had just completed a presentation on her company's offshore exploratory activities.

She bursted people's brain and Toyin was so excited that she even knew who the super star was. Sofi is so good at her job that she is one now of the CEO's main boys and she influenced a lot of major decisions in the company especially recruitment of new staff and contract award to oil servicing firms. Part of the reason why she is popular Lagos Big girl. A Lagos big girl with actual power in the oil and gas streets.

"Look don't worry" She put her arm around Sofi's shoulder as they walked outside the showroom the car was being reversed into the driveway for them already. "I have enough savings. And I am still gainfully employed, relax" She said as she pressed the key to open the car.

The moment the sophisticated dashboard came alive, both of them started screaming like mad women. The interior was red like Linda Ikeji's own, it was mind blowing. The panoramic roof gave it a futuristic feel. They took the car on a spin on lekki-epe expressway blasting loud music through the speakers with Toyin on the wheels while Sofi was dancing on her sit and hyping her up.

When they stopped at a red light on the second round about, some guy in a Mercedes was trying to flirt with Sofi. She smiled back at him about to catch trips but noticed his ring the closed her window as fast as she opened it to flirt back at him. Even the man started laughing at her reaction.

They got dinner and Sofi left her around 8pm and she lay in bed that night with no regrets, she was excited about her new toy and satisfied with the bargain she struck. She didn't think of Femi or marriage again that night. But her mind went where it shouldn't have gone.

Osaze.

Note: I have enough drafts now to update twice a week so expect updates Wednesdays & Weekends(Fri-Sun). Thanks for reading!

⬇️⬇️⬇️Don't forget to vote ;)