28

Pulling the handkerchief from your pocket, you place the silken square upon your palm before closing your eyes and beginning the basic ward spell Ferris taught you. It would be more effective if channeled through a hollowed gourd, but you can't let your frustrations impede your concentration. For now, you have to focus all your energy on visualizing the fabric as a shield.

You feel heat sizzling along your skin, searing your flesh wherever the handkerchief touches you. It burns your palm and once the last word leaves your lips, you pull your hand away. As you do,the handkerchief flutters in the air before floating over to where Kinley watches you with wide eyes. As it glides along, the corners stretch out behind it, creating a long flowing tail. By the time it hovers over Kinley, it is large enough to cover her whole form. The handkerchief settles over her head and drapes down her back until the length of the fabric touches the floor and hides every centimeter of her voluminous gown.

You look on at your rather interesting barrier with fear. You cannot fathom how the thin handkerchief will possibly protect Kinley and when the barrier suddenly bursts into flames, you feel the world crumble around you.

Except, as you fall to your knees in defeat, you notice that the drones are unfazed by the pyre flaring next to them. They remain their cool, calm, and collected selves when they should go into a vengeful rage. A drone cannot act outside of their master's command — even after their master is dead, their sole command is to find and kill the one who murdered their vamp. After that, they die themselves. Yet, her drones haven't moved a hair.

You watch on with confusion and then you notice that someone is hiding behind the dissipating fire.

Your barrier burns away and reveals Kinley, safe and sound. She appears to be as shocked as you are that your protective spell worked, but neither of you focus on that good fortune for long. Instead, Kinley comes over to your defeated form and pulls you back to your feet. Stunned and bewildered, you gaze up at her pale face and find anticipation etched into her perfect skin.

"Where is he?" she asks.

Without another word you lead her down the hall and back to the lounge where the coven resides. Before you can make it, the very person you are looking for emerges with gleeful pride in his step, eager to reach the hall and admire his handiwork. However, it only takes him a moment to catch your eye. His feet keep propelling him forward, while his gaze drinks in the scene before him. Then he sees her and his whole body jerks to a halt.

"Kinley?" he gasps, the word barely audible over the sound of his beating heart.

"Oh, Ferris," says the young vamp. "I've missed you." She runs to him, but stops short, pulling away with fear present in her shaking hands. Sensing this, Ferris lunges forward to grab hold of her and without any further need for confirmation of his love, Kinley sinks into a long-awaited embrace.

"I've missed you, Kinley," he says with his face buried in her long curls. "What has happened? You are a vamp, but you're not..." At this Ferris lets go of Kinley and runs over to the arched entry to the ballroom. There, piles of ash dot the floor and drones stir with unease, looking to seek their revenge.

Ferris has a second of relief on his face once he confirmed their ritual worked, but then calls the coven over to perform one more spell that releases the drones from their vampire's hold, effectively ending their lives and offering them eternal peace.

"Micah saved me, Ferris," answers Kinley, once the coven left to intercept the confused humans now alone in the giant ballroom. "I knew you'd be seeking revenge when I didn't see you at the ball. I was so worried I wouldn't have the chance to find you."

"You were looking for me?"

"Yes, of course," says the vamp with a smile. "Ferris, no one stole me away that night. I just couldn't bear the thought of being with someone else, even if you were my primary partner for breeding. I wanted it to just be us and I knew that'd never happen if the world stayed the way it was. So I ran off to the ball and I've been working my way up since." She pauses and clears her throat before continuing. "I'm not proud of all I've done to get here, but I am here. And thanks to what you've done, the town is up for grabs. We can take it and set it free together." She holds out her hand, but Ferris studies it for a moment.

"As a vampire."

"Yes, for eternity." Kinley's smile strains for a moment, but a shred of confidence keeps her together.

"Whatever I need to do to be with you." Ferris takes her hand and the two once again embrace. You take it as your cue to leave, but before you go, Kinley says one last thing.

"Wait, Micah." She releases Ferris and steps forward so she can hold your hands in hers. "I'd like it if you could be by our side too. You have impressive skill, a quick wit, and an admirable bit of tenacity. We could use your aid in leading this town and keeping it safe from the vampiric echelons."

"I'll," you hesitate, thinking over Kinley's words, "I'll sleep on it."

"You have time," she answers with a smile.

And you did. Kinley's allies died that night, along with her rivals. There was a power vacuum in the vampire world and it took a few years for Kinley to find the footing she needed to stake claim. Until then, you and Ferris helped lead and guard the town from being taken over by any rogue vampire.

But, once Kinley did gain power, you and Ferris became vampires. Together, you three ruled over the town with compassion. You let the people do as they pleased and offered any human who wished to be a feeder the chance to chase immortality. However you never enforced that lifestyle on the people again and the town enjoyed a life of freedom.

***

Congratulations, you found the successful ending for this branch of the story!  Why not go back and see what happens when you use something else to create a ward...