192

You pull out the ice pick and hold it in your hand, trying to think of words to draw his notice.

"I demand you apologize for that attack." You punctuate your threat, by gripping the ice pick tight in your hand and thrusting it forward like a dagger.

However, all your challenge earns you is a roll of his eyes and nothing more. Instead his rage flows through the lounge door, which he flings open with enough strength to tear it from its hinges.

Both you and Ailisa stand their quivering. You know you should run and join the wolves. That you need to tell them you've failed. But you just can't move. With each scream and screech of horror coming from within the lounge, you cringe and grow smaller. A part of you feels responsible for the deaths within and your guilt keeps you rooted in a vigil.

When the duke finally emerges from his slaughter, his cheeks are flushed with a bright red hue and his clothes strain against their buttons.

He licks his lips and struts down the hall to where Ailisa stands mortified and confused. Behind him trails a new army of drones, the coven now a mindless pack of servants.

"You," he says, pointing to the body that once belonged to Ferris. "Tell me, did she belong to your coven?"

You know better than to pray for a shred of Ferris's will to remain and save you from the drone that masquerades as him. Drones are completely loyal to their masters and the only sense of self that remains is the shadow of their former self's memories.

"No," answers the drone without so much as looking at you. You feel air gush from you as relief fills your lungs. You suppose you never were an official member of the coven and you didn't take any part in the ritual. You survive because the drone is incapable of reading between the lines.

"I thought not, that smell wasn't like the rest of you." The duke then turns to face you with a disgusted sneer on his face. "It's probably just the stink of those awful clothes. Go back home, you're ruining the atmosphere for my guests."

He then hooks his arm around Ailisa's, promising her he'll make up for that nasty little interlude by giving her a night to remember. Ailisa gives him a grateful smile, but you can still see the fear in her eyes as they saunter off towards the ballroom.

As for you, you leave.

Once outside, you find the wolves have left too. Perhaps they've given up on you and cut their losses. You hope they will simply head for the forest, but you know in your heart they are off to destinations unknown.

You are left behind, all alone now that your sister, Ailisa, and Ferris are gone.

After the ball you are made a breeder. At least you'll have children to keep you company, though you'll never forget the family you lost that night.

***

You've found one of the unsuccessful endings for this branch of the story... Why not go back and try another way to draw the duke's attention?