3

Seeing Gianette is the nail in the coffin for you. The dream the vampires promised doesn't always come true. In fact, you imagine it rarely does considering how often vampires massacre each other during in-fighting. You won't judge someone for choosing that life, but you do think it should be a choice.

Despite feeling a deep and painful sadness for Gianette, you aren't about to trade the rule of a vampire for the rule of a pack. Vampires may have their in-fighting, but werewolves come with their own set of problems, including strict adherence to the alpha's orders. If that's what Gianette wants, then you wish her the best, but for you, you want freedom. And the one who promises that is Ferris.

So you reach into your wardrobe and draw out the elegant robe that Ferris gifted you a few years ago when you acquiesced to his persistent requests to give magic a try. You agreed because it seemed like a fun game to you. What trouble could learning a few wards and charms from an old school friend do? Now, however, you realize that this robe was your acceptance into his coven and the rebellion. By putting this on, you're turning your back on the life you've always known for a very uncertain future.

You take a deep breath and slip the robe over your head. You then take your new silver pin and clasp it to the front of your robe. You spent the money on it, you might as well still wear it, even if a vamp won't be seeing it. You then head out the door and towards the tavern without looking back.

You find little need to slink through town on the way. Everyone is too excited about the ball to notice you as you slip into the alley and head for the cellar. There you see a figure dressed in a robe very similar to your own. Surprise bounces through the thin body before the guard rushes over to greet you.

"You came!" says Ferris in an excited whisper. "Good, good, good. I need you, Micah. We all need you. You've done the right thing. Come, come!" He pulls you along and opens the creaking cellar door for you to slide through. Once you reach the floor, you hear a heavy bolt being locked and the rustle of Ferris's robes as he follows down behind you.

In the cellar you see several familiar faces, though you had never realized they were training with Ferris as well. In fact, you never saw anyone else perform magic except Ferris. He always talked of others, but never used names. You wonder how long your old classmate has been planning this insurrection in secret. However, the moment you think of the question, you realize the answer. You imagine, it's been exactly three years since he started collecting apprentices around town. After all, that's how long it's been since Kinley was taken.

"You should get ready," says Ferris with a pat on your shoulder. He smiles at you and you smile back, but he doesn't give you a chance to ask how exactly you're supposed to be getting ready.

You look around the cellar and find everyone is sorting through the various items stored on the shelves and in barrels. You aren't sure what good can come from cured meats, bottled ales, and mushroom clusters, but everyone else is seeing enough value in them to snatch them up. You suppose it comes down to one of the basics that Ferris taught — any item can be used to channel magic, it's all about selecting the right item for the job.

Still, if you get to choose between foodstuffs or an actual weapon, you'll go for a weapon any day. Not that there was much in a tavern cellar that could qualify as a weapon. The closest thing you can find is a long coil of rope. You tie it around your waist and then look to where the others gather at the center of the room.

"Attention everyone!" Ferris draws order as everyone forms a circle around him. "It's time. The ball has officially started. Now we must strike while everyone is still in the hall. Some vamps are quick with their selections and we can't afford to let a single one slip away."