196

"You wouldn't happen to..." He stops, his words disappearing beneath the droop of his mouth when he catches sight of you. You swallow hard, certain the vamp would not find your farmhand attire quite as acceptable as the drones did.

"I'm..." You try to find words and your eyes dart around looking for an answer. There must be some excuse you can pull out of the cool autumn air.

"Just who I've been looking for," finished the vamp, stepping out from the door and wrapping an arm around you. "I lost sight of you when I went to retrieve my mask and now, here I find you. I hope you didn't get cold feet."

"I..." You look to the drone, the scroll now secured back in the bag so that his hand can hover over the sword dangling from his belt. "I just needed some air. I'm so overwhelmed by it all."

"No worry my dear, it is a bit much. However, I won't leave your side now, so trust in me to keep you safe."

You try to parse his statement to dissect his intentions. Still, your feet follow his guidance, his hold on your shoulders never loosening as he pulls you into the hall. He motions you towards the dance floor and your head swirls, trying to find an escape to chase after Velt. You think to bolt when the vamp looks away to speak to one of his drones, but his hold on your shoulder stays firm. You try to twist from his grip, but that only digs his claws in deeper.

"I told you, my dear," he says after his drone departs. "I will not leave your side."

"I..." You bite your lip, wondering what trap you've set yourself in as the vamp swings you into the heat of the dance. You follow his sway with stiff, distracted movements, but the vamp's smile doesn't fade. In the sweep of the beat, he pulls you in close and whispers in your ear.

"I know where that man is."

"What? I..." You try to pull away, but his arm is an unmovable bar against your back and so you keep close to hear his conspiratorial whispers.

"So you are with him. The one that ran in here before you did."

"I'm not with him," you answer, surrendering to the fact you aren't going to be able to lie your way through this. "I'm just following him."

"Does he bring danger to the vampires?"

You don't know how to answer and you sway to and fro in silence.

"I'll take that as a yes then." Despite his correct assumption, he maintains a perky cheerfulness that baffles you. You fear his benevolence on the matter is only a prelude to him slaughtering you with a smile on his face. However, the vamp continues to surprise you.

"Well, my name is Francis Degaré Ellimond, but please call me Ell. I'm a marquis if that is of any interest to you. And I'm also rather bored with the vampire world, so I've got a proposition for you."

Taken aback, you lean away from him so you can stare up into his mischievous eyes.

"I'll take you to that man," he continues, "but in exchange you must agree to take my mask." He procures his mask from a vest pocket and holds it out before you. To accept the mask was to accept his ownership over you. You'd become a feeder and perhaps even a vampiric companion.

You look down at his offering, aware of the implications, but also aware that if Velt has not betrayed the wolves, then Ell will be dead before morning.

"Fine," you say, taking his mask and placing it upon your face. "Where is he?"

"Right to the point," Ell replies with a toothy grin. "An admirable quality you don't traditionally see in feeders. This way then." He pulls you off the dance floor and walks you towards a back exit that leads into an opulent hallway. Before you leave the ballroom, though, you think to swipe something from a nearby buffet table, a weapon that may prove useful should things turn south. Unfortunately, all that's within reach is a butter knife that still has a glob of butter on it. Not the best weapon in the world, but it's better than nothing.

"You plan on using that on me?" Ell asks, looking over his shoulder with a smirk as you slip the utensil into your bag.

"I couldn't if I wanted to," you mumble, your cheeks a bit red

"I knew you'd be fun," he says with a laugh.

You draw up to the exit and peer out into the hallway. You try to step around Ell to get a closer look, but he holds his hand out, stopping you from progressing too far into the corridor.

A little ways ahead of you is a small group of men, including Velt. The werewolf paces before a door, looking far less confident than before. Then the door opens and a large, burly man steps out. He wipes his hands upon a handkerchief that he then tucks into the pocket of his coat.

"What is it?" he growls. "I'm a bit busy." You realize that the muscular vamp is none other than the town's keeper, the Duke Gagnier. Your pulse races and your blood pumps hard inside your ear drums.

"I want to make a deal," answers Velt, his back hunched and knees bent. Even in human form, he looks like a wolf with his tail between his legs. "Make me a feeder, protect me, and I'll give you some information you'll be foolish to ignore."

"How am I supposed to know if it's worth the price if you won't tell me what it is?" answers the duke with a snarl.

"You'll have to trust me," answers Velt in a weak voice.

"Can't trust you if you're dead."

"Okay, it's about werewolves," replies Velt, throwing his hands up. "Is information that can lead to the slaughter of werewolves worth turning me into a feeder?"

"I'm listening," was the duke's only answer, but apparently that was enough for Velt.

"There is a pack of wolves coming up the street as we speak. They're ready to strike the moment you step out of the hall, but they expect to have you by surprise and could easily be surprised themselves because of it."

"You with the wolves then," Ell whispers.

You don't answer him, you just watch as the duke deliberates the traitorous wolf's information.

"I'll take that as another yes then," continues Ell. "So I suppose the question is, what are you going to do from here?"

"What do you mean?" you ask without looking away from the duke.

"Well, I imagine you don't particularly like the fact that renegade has tattled on your friends, so I'm curious to see what you'll do about it."

"Aren't you concerned for yourself? I could come after you too, you know?"

"I think we've already established you couldn't attack me with simple cutlery, even if you wanted to."

You turn to glare at him, but his bemused eyes melt away your anger and you're only left feeling frustrated.

"You see," he continues, "I smelled werewolf on that fellow the second he brushed past me on his way in. I went to check what might be waiting behind him on the street. Instead I found you, who I could tell wasn't a werewolf, though you sure carry their scent. I made sure to get my allies out of here the second I had you in my grasp. You see, I have no love for the duke. So if you can help me dispose of him, I'm all for it. However, should I see you'll only be bringing me trouble, I'll be out of here before you know it and the night will be no real loss to me. So come, my dear, you can't leave me hanging in anticipation. I really must know what you plan to do."

What do you plan to do? Ell doesn't appear to be much of a threat, just a bored vamp looking to even a score. In fact you may even be able to ask for his help. Maybe he can get you out to the wolves to warn them of the traitor. Or he might even help you attack the duke head on. Of course, you can't just rely on a vamp. They are tricky by nature. Instead, you might be able to convince Velt to rejoin the pack.

- Get to the Wolves: ch 199

- Ask Ell to Fight: ch 200

- Convince Velt: ch 201