Chapter 8

✱Emma's POV✱

✱Emma's POV✱

🎶 It's just a drop in the ocean
A change in the weather
I was praying that you and me might end up together
Its like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert
But I'm holding you closer than most 'cause you are my heaven 🎶

I shut off the music as an attempt to make Mike talk to me.

"I don't get why you aren't telling why we're going to be meeting this businessman in this Gala." I exclaimed, turning in my seat to look at him.

Carter was sitting in the back and watching our exchange with amusement.

"You, not we. He wants to speak only to you." He finally uttered.

"What do you mean he only wants to speak with me? Why exactly does he want that?"

"He hasn't told me, okay? He has personally gone through your files and then demanded to see you, claiming that he only trusts you with this problem."

"Oh. Wait... How did he get access to my files?"

"Geez. How many questions do you have? He recently became a part of the board and already holds a very high position."

"That explains it. One more thing, won't him meeting me reveal my identity to him?"

"Like I already told you, he is a part of the board, so he can be considered a part of the agency. That makes it alright for him to know your identity."

"Fine. Do you atleast know his name?"

"Of course I do. His name is Alexander Ryder, the CEO and owner of the Ryder Industries."

I froze when he said this.

"Does he, by any chance, have a son who goes to the college you have sent me to?"

"Yes, his youngest son does. He is also a Sophomore like you. I knew his name, but I'm not getting it now."

"Blake. His name is Blake."

"Yes. Blake! That's the name. Do you know him? Are you friends?"

"I know him and we are nowhere close to being friends."

"What? Why not? I've met the kid before, he's a good guy."

"Oh look! We almost reached!" I exclaimed, eager to change the topic.

By now you would have already guessed that today is Saturday, the day of the Gala and we are on our way to the venue.

Mike is driving and I am seated on the passenger seat whereas Carter is sitting in the back. Carter is wearing a blood red suit and Mike is wearing a black one. I am wearing an emerald green gown with spaghetti straps and a slit along my right leg.