Twenty-Four, Dane

I was nervous as hell. I hate this shit. I knew her parents aren't my biggest fan, and here we are telling them that we're getting married and she's pregnant with twins. They were probably going to kill me. I took yet another deep breath before Austyn opened the door her hand not letting go of mine as I followed her in the house.

"Mom? Dad?"

"Office!" When we walked in the office her Dad was behind his desk on the computer and her mom was looking at the screen behind him. She walked in and sat down before they even looked away from the screen. I slowly walked behind her placing my hand on her shoulder. There was no way I was going to be able to sit down right now.

"You name is Dane Taylor right boy?" I raised my eyebrows for a second.

"Uh Jensen Dane Taylor Sir."

"That must be it." I kept my eyes on him confused as all hell. "Why do you go by Dane? Is there a past you are running from?" I was taken back a little.

"Not at all, some people call me Jensen and others Dane, I answer to both."

"Redacted." He said more to his wife, who let out a heavy sigh, than to Austyn or me.

"I'm sorry are you trying to do a background check on me?"

"Yes, we are. Why is it we are unable to do so?" He looked over the monitor arms crossed. "Are you with the CIA?"

"No, but you won't be able to do a background check on me because of who I work for. It is intentional." I stated more defensive then I wanted to, but fuck this.

"Alright then you can answer the questions we have." I tried hard not to roll my eyes before taking my hand off Austyn's shoulder and going into my military stance. "Have you ever been arrested?"

"More times than I can count, but my record is clean."

"Arrested for what?"

"Name anything and I've been arrested for it. It is part of my job."

"Wait a second, what in the heck? Would you guys be doing this if it were Dallas in here with one of the random chicks he bangs?" Austyn spoke up and she was pissed.

"You're our little girl." Her mom answered like it was the answer to all the problems.

"No, this bullshit just does not fly! You don't like him, and I want to know why!" She was yelling at this point.

"Austyn look at the boy! He is prison waiting to happen!" Her dad yelled back. I was quite taken back by this and they I'm sure could tell.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now? He works for the government! Just because he has tattoo's does not automatically mean he is a bad guy. In fact, he is the politest man I have ever met in my entire life, and he treats me like a complete queen!" I put my hand on her shoulder and she looked up at me. "He is the love of my life." She looked back at her parents. "And it is your problem if you can't swallow that and try to get to know the amazing man he is."

"We don't want to get to know someone that is temporary. Now Kyle-" She cut him off before he could say anything else.

"Cheated on me for months! He treated me like shit!"

"He was the right person for you not-" Her dad started to say but Austyn stood up. Her shirt was tight, she was hoping they would just ask about it. She leaned on the desk and pointed at him, engagement ring in full view.

"Left me for some other girl that he was cheating on me with, for months." She stood up and turned to me. "We don't need this, let's go." Her mom and dad's eyes were both wide.