FiftySeven.

Niall managed to get me back to the house in one piece. Well, apart from the fact that my legs still were not working. I had not informed anyone else of my arrival back to the house and luckily there seemed to be no cars in the driveway when the car stopped. I turned my head to look at Niall, "Do not even think about bringing that ugly thing into the house," I motioned my head to the back of the car. The wheelchair was placed in the boot of the car, the doctor insisted that I brought it home, I, on the other hand, tried to avoid bringing it back. Since I had tried to not bring it home, the doctor had booked me in for counselling. He called it denial, I called it optimism. I wanted to feel like I would be getting better soon, I wanted to feel like I could do it on my own.

"Come on, Ell," he sighed as he swivelled round in his seat and stared at me. "I'll bring it in, you don't need to use it."

I groaned as I put my head on the headrest and looked up at the roof of the car, "Why the hell do you need to so you?!" I let my anger get the better of me as my voice rose. "Please, Ni, just let me do this my own way."

"Okay, and who's going to get you up those stairs?" He asked as he gave me the look, the look a father gives you when he knows he is right. He chuckled as I sided eyed him, "Let's get you inside and we can worry about that great thing later."

Within a minute or two he'd come around and opened the door on my side of the car, he reached down and let me put my hands on his arms before we helped me up. I was using him to stay upright although my feet were not doing stable or touching the ground, the truth was he was taking all my weight. He reached under and took my legs before picking me up, bridal style. "Thanks, Ni," I rested my head on his chest and smiled as I realised he was the only one who could help me right now and I needed him. 

I laid in bed for the day, Niall had rushed around after me doing things for me but at some point, he had to leave

I laid in bed for the day, Niall had rushed around after me doing things for me but at some point, he had to leave. I watched the clock tick by, time disappearing before around twenty past eight in the evening I heard the commotion downstairs as the front door opened followed by voices. I stayed silent as I listened, I listened to my father and brother exchanging words of encouragement, I heard my uncle Jack's voice, he didn't sound very happy as I heard him speaking to my father, the words he spoke were aimed at him. Lastly, I heard Harry's voice, I didn't catch his words but a few moments later everything was quiet. 

My breath was caught in my throat as I realised that it had been so long since I had seen him. I didn't even know if I wanted to see him, I wasn't even mad, I was just disappointed. 

I reached across and pressed on the lamp on my bedside table which turned the light off before I closed my eyes getting comfy under my blankets. I didn't want to deal with the questions that would be thrown at me once they knew I was home. 

A couple of minutes passed as the silence grew around me before I heard the door open, the door squeaked before the light was turned on in the room. The brightness caught me by surprise but not as much as the sound that left my father's lips. 

Opening my eyes I looked at him as he stood in the doorway of my room, "Ell?" He looked at me like I was a ghost. "What are you doing here? I didn't think you were coming home for a couple of days?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I got out today, Niall brought me home."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked as he walked towards my bed, he sat at the end of my bed watching me. "I would have picked you up, I would have been there for you."

Smiling at him I sighed, "I just didn't want to interrupt you. I know you are busy, Dad."

He shook his head as he reached forward for my hand, "Ell, I would do anything for you. Don't ever think anything differently. I would go to the end of the Earth for you. There is nothing that isn't too much trouble."

"I know," I assured him as I looked up at him. 

I had missed him, I missed being here with him. My father was the only constant in my life, things might have been strained between us but I knew I could count on him. 

"Do you need anything?" My father asked me, his voice was calm, quiet and understanding as he looked at me. For a moment I felt like an eight-year-old child spending a tender moment with their father, for a moment I wanted to put my arms around him and hold him, I wanted him to hold me. 

I sucked in my bottom lip as I thought of the right words to say, I knew this was the moment to tell him. "Dad," I began but we were interrupted by the door squeaking. I looked up at the door and saw my brother and uncle standing there staring at me and my father. "Thomas," I smiled, "Uncle Jack!"

They walked over to my bed and looked down at me, "Oh my God, why didn't you say you were coming home?" Thomas asked as he leaned down and kissed me on the forehead. "I have missed you so much, Ell."

"I missed you too," I smiled at him as I took his hand and held it tightly for a moment. "I'm sorry for not telling you I was home."

Thomas winked at me before I let his hand go and he stepped away from me. Uncle Jack moved in closer, "Good to see you, sport." He nodded at me. "You look fresh and relaxed."

"I'll take that as a compliment," I mumbled before I looked back at my father as I used my hands and all my strength to sit up in my bed. I leaned back against the headboard and spoke, "I need to speak to you."

My father turned to Thomas and Jack, "Give us a moment."

I watched as the left the room, the door was closed behind them before I looked back at my dad who was watching me, waiting for me to say something. Taking a deep breath I closed my eyes for a few seconds letting the darkness take me. When I opened my eyes I looked at him, "I don't really know how to tell you." I didn't have the right words, "So I am just going to tell you."

He watched me intensely as he waited for my words. His hands were on his lap, his expression was neutral and his breath was calm.

"For now, I have," I stopped my words, my lips didn't want to say it, I didn't want to tell him. 

"It's okay," he assured me as he took the hand closest to him and held it tight. "Whatever it is we can get through it." He sounded genuine, he sounded like he was going to be there for me no matter what I said. 

I nodded, "There is a small chance I might not walk again."

"What do you mean?" He asked me as his eyebrows furrowed. "What are you saying?"

"I have no feeling in my legs," I managed to choke out the words as tears filled my eyes as I finally spoke it out loud. "I can't feel a thing," I punched my leg but there was nothing. 

My dad took both my hands before pulling me close to him, holding me tight. "I'm here," he told me soothingly as he let me cry into his chest. For a moment I felt like I was releasing all the emotions I had inside of me. I needed him to hold me, I needed this so much.