CHAPTER 16 'DATE GONE WRONG'

CHAPTER 16 *Unedited

‘Date Gone Wrong’

I sat in Malika’s old bedroom fingering the dusty pink silk covers and watched the endless stream of pictures plastered to the cracked walls. Nothing had changed; no clothing was thrown out, even the curtains where the same odd shade of pink Malika adored.

It hurt to see her memories real and alive, her clothing all hung in the wardrobe surrounded by their faint feminine scent, which was still present. 

I was dressed and ready to go out where ever Zayn had planned, but deep down in my core I didn’t want this. I didn’t want him to make any effort with me.

I could blame Malika for everything, but she was my everything. My family, my first ever-best friend who had fought for me. 

“Dad, please this is what I want,” I cried feeling the tears escape my eyes.

“It’s too far,” He snapped at me, anger blazing upon his deep brown orbs scaring me to the core.

“Dad, please, you just don’t understand. I worked so hard to secure my place in this university, don’t do this. Please,” I whispered, feeling my mother hover over my father. 

“Aliyah, go inside,” She shot me a disappointed look and huddled towards my father with a glass of water trying to sooth his stress but avoiding my presence.

“No, please just listen,” I was loosing all hope, all will.

“What the hell is wrong with you Aliyah? You’re leaving the universities of New York for some university in London?” He growled out, irony lacing his words.

Maybe I wanted to set foot out of New York to experience life outside the cover of my parents. I wanted to be alone, independent and taste a slice of freedom. 

“Why can’t you be like your older sister,” My father shouted rising from the large armchair.

“Because I don’t, I don’t want to get married into some shitty arranged marriage. Why can’t you change your mentality? This is New York, people think differently now.” I screamed.

I saw the plain anger written on his face, before his palm raised and Malika stepped in taking the blow, which was aimed for me.

All hell fell loose. 

My father’s face was shocked; he took her into his trembling arms and consoled his precious daughter while I felt the tears break free.

“Dad, I’m fine,” Malika spoke over his burbling sorry and his tight arms, which encased her in his warmth. The warmth the love I was never given, because I wasn’t the perfect little daughter every parent dreams of.

I was the rebel, the one with big dreams.

“Let her go, let her prove her worth. She’s worked so hard for this and she’s capable papa she really she is,” Malika smothered him with honey coated words.

“I can’t let her go,” 

“Dad give her this opportunity, she’s my sister I know she’ll do us all proud,” She said shooting me a small smile.

She had dragged me one step closer to my dreams and I was indebted to her. Maybe she soaked up all my father’s love and fondness but she was there for me, when I needed her.