CHAPTER 15 'NEW YORK' + NOTE III

CHAPTER 15 *Unedited

‘New York’

“The flights at around 5,” I whispered into the phone, facing a stretch of silence.

“I could come with you,”

 “No!” I shouted as the hair at the nape of my neck stood up. I shivered thinking of the fire that would rage when my father and mother saw me beside Rizvan Ali, the man they chased away with a bunch of foul lies. 

Rizvan couldn’t come.

“We just met,” His voice came out slow and deep through the line. 

“I know it’s for only a week. I just have to show up, show some love for his father, sit through a ceremony and leave.” I said softly convincing myself that that’s all that’s required from me. But deep inside I knew there was a slight chance that things could get harsh or take a turn for the worst. Because where Aliyah Shah was concerned nothing ever went smoothly. 

“Ok, take care and I swear if you don’t show up in a weeks time I will fly there myself and no one will be there stopping me,” Rizvan’s voice was firm and I gulped thinking where this was leading to. 

He had only taken us out for lunch, nothing more. No midnight dinners amongst candles in fancy restaurants. I had called only to let him know that I was leaving, that’s the least I owned him. I couldn’t leave him stranded again, wondering and worrying where I had disappeared.

My heart knew that this thing between us had to end before it started. 

I had to break Rizvan’s heart again and this would be the last time. He had to let go of the past. 

…..

I rolled my suitcase slowly dragging my eyes through the crowd of people stood in front of arrival.

I was in New York.

The realization made my stomach clench and lurch as I felt a wave of sickness and nausea pass through me. I gripped Zaisha’s hand tightly keeping her close to my body and dodging the reunions taking place. 

My heart froze as Zaisha screamed daddy and ran towards him.

He was smiling, clean-shaven and wore a crisp charcoal black suit. His hair was soft and his icy blue eyes locked on to mine as he held tightly onto Zaisha and made his way towards my frozen body. 

We felt like the only ones in the roaring airport.

“Aliyah,” He whispered his arms snaked around my waist spiking my fear and he pulled me towards him in an attempt to hug my rigid body. 

“How are you,” He whispered as his eye locked on to mine once again.

My throat was clogged up. How could this man who humiliated me a week ago causally ask me about my well being. He never uttered a word more than necessary.

Never touched me. It’s as if my image repulsed him.

Zayn broke away from me as my father old figure surrounded me, he hugged me tightly and I fought back the tears. The numerous times I had missed him. He was suppose to be the over protective father, but I had kept him at a length still blaming him for my state.

He could have pulled me back and told me not to sacrifice my life.

“How are you?” He whispered smoothing down my hair and looking at me adoringly. I would have died for that affection before Malika, but now I felt nothing.