CHAPTER 2 'NEW WIFE'

‘Every difficult moment carves a tattoo of strength upon us’

CHAPTER 2 *unedited.

'New Wife'

+ Cover made by me.

The sudden cry of a baby broke us apart. 

Zayn roughly pushed me father away from him with a hard expression. His unique blue eyes were bloodshot and emotionless. His brown hair was in tangles. He looked homeless and lost. His darkened eyes turned away from and slightly softened when they landed on Malika’s still form. 

I wanted to get a glimpse of her face. She was always so beautiful.

But the continues wailing from the other side of the room stilled my attempt to move towards Malika. The sound of the constant whimpering and crying brought a surge of anger within me.

Because of this child Zayn and I were deeply wounded and suffering. I never had any emotional attachment or brotherly love for Zayn seeing as he was always so composed and distant. Too me he had always been the man my sister had married. He was like a character Malika would describe from a foreign book. But he was a lover and his pain could affect even a stranger.

The loss of someone you were destined to spend the rest of your life is unimaginable and any man good or bad didn’t deserve such a pain.

I looked at the small plastic crib. I noticed the slight movement, as the wails of the baby seemed to increase. Zayn was latched on to Malika and gave no second glimpse to the crying child. The stream of his tears and his pain seemed endless.

I didn’t want to set my eyes on the reason for why my sister gone. I didn’t but my legs pushed me toward the small crib. I felt like I was obliged to stop her whimpers.

If Malika was here I would have died and fought over who held the baby. But now, with her gone my heart wanted nothing more but to run from this child. 

I looked down at the crib and my heart stilled.

She was beautiful. Her eyes were wide open and were a cloudy sky blue, exact replicates of Zayn’s eyes. She shared the same features of Malika. The same thick and lush brown locks. She had a small button nose and little plump lips. Apart from the eyes she looked like Malika but a smaller chubbier version.

A smile graced my face and my eyes watered at the beautiful sight. Love bloomed within me as my hands went around the wrapped bundle. I carefully picked her up having no experience and swayed her in my arms. She was gorgeous. 

Her cries stopped as she stared at me in awe. 

Tears dropped from my eyes as I continued to look down at the beautiful baby girl in my arms. How could I have even thought for a second I could hate her? She was so innocent.

Malika would have gushed over her rosy cheeks and striking eyes. My stomach lurched when I thought of Malika. This baby would never be able to see her mother, never have a mother to hold her or worry over her.

We were all so deep in our own pain we never thought of this child. How difficult it will be when her mother wouldn’t be there to dress her up or be there waiting for her outside of the school gates. 

I was so selfish.

I was broken from my thoughts when the nurse approached me and took the bundle of joy from my eyes. The sudden movement caused the baby to cry out in protest as her small body struggled in the tight blanket in which she was wrapped up in. The nurse laid her softly in the crib and put a small bottle to her pouty lips. She latched on to the bottle.