CHAPTER 8 'MAKING UP'

CHAPTER 8 *Unedited

'Making Up'

“Are you sure you want me to leave?” Mary questioned as I fumbled with cutting the thick chicken breast into smaller pieces. The knife slipped on the chicken as it worked against the wet chicken surface.  I sighed as I attempted to cut it again.

“Yes please leave, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Ok madam,” she nodded as she jogged out of the kitchen, probably listing off the TV shows she now might have the luxury time to catch up on.

I shoved myself away from the marble counter I was working on. I felt defeated. I had no idea how to cook and where to start from. My eyes lingered on the shelf adorning the countless Indian spices all looking too similar.

My eyes strained from the spices back to the chicken pieces spread out upon the counter as I heard the familiar opening course of the cartoon show Zaisha often watched after school bouncing from the lounge and filling my aching head.

I had one choice left, one that I probably didn’t have the courage to take. 

I slowly approached the telephone lying on the small glass table. My hands shook as I reached out for the phone. How could I be so casual so friendly after so long. My mind jumped to conclusions as I slammed the phone back down and turned away leaning on the elegant glass table.

Zaisha came jumping towards me with a smile causing the dimple on her right cheek to pop in and show. 

“Momma,” She shouted as she shoved the thick white paper with endless colors roughly sprawled on the sheet. 

“Look,” She pointed at the abstract designs.

“It’s beautiful,” I cooed at her smile as she continued to wave the sheet around in pride. 

“Why don’t you make some more. I know why don’t you make one for daddy.”

Her face scrunched up as her small chubby arms crossed over her yellow sundress.

“No. I’m upset,” she mumbled as her eyes glistened with a sheen of wetness. I sighed as I perched down to her level, and rubbed my hand on her small back.

“Is it because he never showed up at your sports day?”

I watched her head bob as her arms wound around my neck and her nose pressed against my neck. Her breathing tickled my neck and I brought her closer taking in her natural powdery scent. 

“He was busy,” I whispered as she looked away.

“He’s always busy momma,” She hiccupped and sniffed back the trembling tears, which surfaced in her crystal blue eyes.

“Shh, I know baby, but you have me.” I hugged her tightly as she whimpered against me.

Maybe marrying Zayn was destined to happen; it was a way of Allah to give the child a mother she had lost. She really did need a mother. Her father never did give her the attention and love a child needed. Without me she would have felt neglected and unwanted.

I softly pushed her away and asked her to make another picture for the fridge and turned back towards the phone perched on the stool.

Dread filled up deep in my core once again.

I picked up the phone and slowly punched in the familiar number, which had been etched into mind from so long ago.

My ears trained on to the familiar ringtone as I slightly shook.