Chapter 28.

Just a short note before we start with this chapter! 

For those of you who've read the previous chapter before I changed it: I had written that Jane believed Gordon to be dead (as he faked his death in The Dark Knight to protect his family) but as I continued writing the story I realised that this doesn't work out for the way I want things to play out, so forget about that! Gordon is alive and Jane never thought he was dead.

That's it! Enjoy this chapter! (And thank you for 25k reads!!)

_________________________________________________________

With the streets being empty at this time of the night I reached the GCPD in no time.

Since it was their headquarters, even their parking lot was guarded and after passing the admission control by showing the guard my fake passport and my matching face, I parked the car as close to the building as possible.

After turning off the engine, I looked over the building in front of me and a sigh escaped my lips. Still holding onto the steering wheel, I closed my eyes to gather my courage and tried to sort my thoughts.

What was I supposed to say?

Hi my name is Ruth and I have information concerning the Joker that might be important to you?

Surely that wouldn't make me seem like a criminal at all.

I leaned forward to rest my forehead against the steering wheel.

It didn't matter right? Trying to save Harvey was more important than me revealing that I worked with the Joker to the police.

Sitting back up, I took a deep breath and finally exited the car.

Because I was trying my best to look as unsuspicious as possible, I avoided looking around and headed straight to the door. But a person that pays a visit to the police at 3 in the morning is already suspicious anyway, so it probably didn't matter.

When I reached the heavy entrance door, I took my time to open it fully and enter the building.

As to be expected at this time of the day, there weren't many people around, only two officers sitting behind the counter.

After the door fell shut behind me, they both looked up and surprise was evident in their eyes.

"How can we help you Miss?" One of the officers, a young man, addressed me.

Frozen in place, all the thoughts I had before entering were gone and left me speechless.

"Are you alright?" The other officer, a middle-aged female, spoke up with a frown decorating her forehead.

"I'm alright, thank you." Were the words I managed to vocalize and the man seemed to relax a little.

I bit my lip and the pain finally urged me to take a few steps forward, the careful eyes of the female officer following me.

"I heard of Harvey Dent's kidnapping. I used to...live in Gotham a while ago. I believe I have information about the Joker that could be important to you."

The eyes of the woman narrowed immediately at my words.

"Information?" She asked, her voice sharp and her crossed arms making it clear that she had already formed her opinion of me.

"Yes."

"What kind of information?"

"I would prefer it if we could talk about that in a more secure setting." I requested, trying my best to remain calm while my brain told me that coming was a stupid idea.