Chapter 23.

Quick note in case you don't remember: Dean's surname is Simmons.

_______________________________

When I left the botanical garden behind, I felt empty. Maybe I had to feel that way, otherwise I would've been devoured by my own betrayal.

I wouldn't say I didn't have a choice. It's just that I didn't want to take any risks. The Joker was the most powerful villain in Gotham at this point and also the most unpredictable and dangerous.

A shiver ran down my spine just thinking about him.

I took a look at my watch and decided that I would walk home today. It wasn't too late yet, so I should arrive at my flat before the worst hours of the day started in Gotham.

After a good hour of walking and trying to clear my head, I finally arrived at my flat. Without turning on the light, I closed the door behind me and sank down to the floor.

What have I done? Am I really going to do this?

For a moment I considered calling in sick for another day of work. I was sure I wouldn't be able to look any of my colleagues or in the worst case, Bruce, in the eyes.

I decided to try it, so the next day at 7am I found myself sitting in one of Gotham's many doctor's offices.

By the time I got called in, it was already way past 8am.

"Ms. Benton? You're here because of a concussion?" The doctor asked me while he shook my hand.

"Yes that's correct."

"And how long has it been since the concussion occurred?"

"Four days today."

"And you are here because you're still feeling ill?"

"Yes, my head still hurts and when I was in the subway just now it almost felt like it would explode."

He nodded and then proceeded to do some tests on me.

"Well, Ms. Benton. It seems that there are still slight effects noticeable with your reflexes and your ability to focus. I'll put you on sick leave for another two days. Make sure to rest and avoid things like TVs, since your eyes are still very sensitive." He concluded and I nodded eagerly.

"I will, thank you."

"Then I wish you a fast recovery."

We shook hands once again and then I headed back home and notified Mary that I'd miss another two days of work. Of course she was worried and wanted to come over after work, but I refused and told her that I needed rest.

She understood and told me to call her if I needed anything, after that I hung up.

The remainder of my free day went by rather uneventful. I was bored most of the time and spent it reading, thinking and sleeping.

The next day wasn't much different and I began to miss work, but I knew it wouldn't be the same starting tomorrow. I wouldn't be working to help the good people anymore. I was working for the Joker now.

At about 5pm, just when I started cooking dinner, my doorbell rang and I sighed, wiping my hands and rushing to the door. I was 99% sure it was Mary, she sounded so worried and never listened to me when I told her not do something.

I opened the door and to my surprise, it was not Mary. I closed my already opened mouth, which had intended to scold Mary, to keep silent.

"Hi. Can...I come in?" Bruce asked and raised an eyebrow at my reaction.