Chapter 24.

To say I was productive the next day at work was an overstatement. I couldn't get anything done.

For now, all the Joker had asked of me was to look for proof that Batman got his equipment from Wayne Enterprises. To be honest, it was rather obvious that his stuff was developed here. There was just no other company that had our knowledge and innovation.

But I knew that the Joker wasn't simply looking for proof. Although he was interested in finding out who Batman really was, what mattered to him went beyond Batman's identity. He wanted to know what kind of gadgets Batman owned, how they worked and of course how to counter them.

I kind of hoped that Batman had been smart enough not to leave any traces, because if I couldn't find anything, I wouldn't be responsible for any bad things that might've happened if I would've found something.

So when Mr. Fox ordered me to do some practical work instead of staying at my desk, I felt relieved. No chance to take a look at the records then, right?

I tried to concentrate on the task given to me, but Mary and Dean noticed quickly that I still had problems to concentrate. If it was because of my concussion or simply because I kept getting distracted, I didn't know myself.

At some point I had turned into an errand boy and all I did was fetch materials for them. Once again, I didn't mind the job one bit until I opened a drawer and noticed some empty storage units that were definitely not supposed to be empty.

I froze in place, watching my knuckles turn white because I was clasping the drawer as if I was holding onto dear life.

"Jane? The methylthioninium chloride?" Mary called out to me and I twitched, before rummaging through the drawer with sweaty hands. When I found what I had been searching for, I went over to Mary and handed her the container with the requested chemical.

"Are you sure you can work? You look pale. Do you want to take a break?" She asked with a frown.

"No, I'm fine. I'm not doing anything big right now anyway, so I can handle it." I refused and forced a smile.

Mary inspected me once again, but then turned back to her work with a sigh.

"Okay, if you think so. At least our lunch break starts soon, you'll have to take a break then." She mumbled and I rubbed my arm, feeling guilty that I made her worry.

The last hour until lunch was spent with me taking notes of the experiment Dean and Mary were working on. Usually they'd be taking the notes themselves, but after Mary had seen me all pale I was assigned that job as well.

I felt like an assistant back in university, but I knew that they didn't mean to degrade me in any way. They were simply worried. And I couldn't tell them the real reason why they should be worried.

So the days went on and it didn't take me long to find missing materials in just about every corner I looked. According to the task given to me, I reported back to the Joker's henchmen or even the Joker himself weekly.

Just recently I encountered an obstacle in the way of my investigation. We had not found a solution yet, but I was hoping that now would be the point where the Joker had used me enough.

I knew the info I provided wasn't anything ground breaking, but it was all I found after all. I mean Batman wasn't stupid.

Now I was on my way back home, after I had met up with the Joker in person to discuss my progress once again.

"Dangerous neighbourhood to enjoy a walk at this hour." A dark voice stated from above and when I looked up, I nearly suffered a heart attack. Above me, barely visible in the sparse street light, cowered Batman on a balcony.

"That's why I'm trying to get home as fast as possible." I tried to joke, but my voice came out much weaker than I intended to. My heart was beating out of my chest, pounding in my ears. He didn't know, did he?

For a moment he looked in the opposite direction of where I was heading and then focused back on me with his dark eyes.

"The Joker was seen in this neighbourhood, you should leave."

My eyes widened at his words. Firstly, because I felt relief washing through me at his apparent ignorance of my affiliation with the Joker and secondly, because I felt the fear rushing through my veins at the mere mention of the Joker's name.

Before I could reply, the dark shadow above me disappeared into the night and I was left in the alley, with my mouth wide open, still unable to move.

It was my second time seeing Batman and while I was enthusiastic last time, I felt my stomach turn this time around.

Caught up in my thoughts, I found myself standing in the alley until the sudden urge to throw up overcame me. I stumbled over to the side and the acid liquid poured out of my mouth onto the street.

I knew the Joker was the person I had to be afraid of, but what would Batman do when he found out about me? Would I turn into a villain? That's not what I want.

Panic rushed through my body and I hurried back onto my feet. Then I ran out of the alley towards the subway station as fast as my wobbly legs could take me.