Chapter 49

Ruqayyah's POV

A month had passed since Hafsah's (Bianca's) accident and she was still in the hospital. They would keep her for two more weeks before discharging her. I left Youssef in her hospital room with Hafsah's (Bianca's) mum. They seemed to be getting along better than before. At least she doesn't complain about him coming to see his daughter. He's there every single day after lessons.

It was still unknown who the car driver was, but the police are working on it. They suspect that the accident happened on purpose. The person driving the car knew Hafsah (Bianca) and eventually, it was an attempted murder. That's what scares me the most.

***

One more day having to walk into college and sit next to Alex but never being able to talk to him. Sometimes I feel like telling him the truth and telling him how much I love him, but then I remember my dad.

"Ruqayyah," Mr Jim calls me. I look up to find him glare at me. What's the surprise? He seems to hate me for some unknown reason. He also seems to be in a bad mood lately. Is it because Jess left? I heard she moved with her family. She used to be his favourite, so...

"Yes," I respond at last.

"I don't know if you are aware, but your exams will be coming up in may and daydreaming will not help you pass them. Pay attention to the lesson or get out!" He says rudely.

"I am sorry." That's all I say as I try to go back to my work.

"Excuses always excuses. I hope I made myself clear. Besides, if you would leave, you wouldn't be missed. Nobody needs people like you here." He adds and I noticed Alex was going to get up to say something but I do it first.

"I've had enough! You really think you are better than anyone else in this classroom, don't you? Please get a life. You must be really unhappy to come get rid of your frustrations in class. But not with me no more because I'm not stepping inside your stupid classroom as long as you're here. And I assure you it won't be for long!" I say louder than I intended and I tidy up my things.

"Is that a threat?" He asks and I give him a fake smile.

"Take it as you want."

"This will be reported to the headteacher. You are disrespecting me just because I'm Christian." He threatens and I seriously don't bother to argue against his last statement. Now it makes sense why he never liked me.

"Perfect, and go tell him the cause as well because the principal hates one-sided stories. At least if you are going to lie, make it perfect!" I say before grabbing my bag and storming out of the room.

I walk not even knowing where I was going to, until I accidentally bumped into someone.

"I'm so sorry," I tell Miss Lila.

"Shouldn't you be in lesson right now?" She asks with concern.

"I don't want to be in that man's lesson," I say frustration clear in my voice.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Jim."

"Oh, that idiot... I mean, um, what did he do?"

"He simply decided from day one that he did not like me. I've had enough today and I actually answered him back." I explain, "But maybe I shouldn't have, he will make up lies to the headteacher and I might even be expelled."

"You will not be expelled. I am not letting that happen. I will talk to the headteacher." She tries to be reassuring.

"Why would you do that?" I was thankful, but still cautious. I've never been close to a teacher, except Mrs Fatima because she's my neighbour. But that's an exception.