VII

30 June, 2018

Dear Jisung

I loved playing badminton with you and the other members of the school's badminton club, but I had to let it all go, you asked why I quit, I said that my parents arranged an after school tutor but the time clashed with badminton.

You believed my lie.

You believed I was going to a tutor even though I was already at the top of the class.

I couldn't tell you the truth,

I couldn't tell you that I was dying from the inside out, literally.

Eunjin folded the letter and placed it carefully inside the box, careful not to wake Ji-U, the only family she had left, who still talked to her anyway.

Eunjin lay awake, thinking of how every one she loved slowly left her,

Her mother died, trying to save her from the drunk driver's car that hadn't stopped at the red light.

Her father died from exhaustion, working too hard, trying to make enough money to feed three children, even though they all had part time jobs.

Her cat died from feline immunodeficiency virus.

Her twin, left for Seoul to pursue his dreams of inspiring people with his music, Jisung, her best friend, following. Although not that far, she never had the energy to go all the way to Seoul, a city that was filled to the brim with people, too many people for her liking.

Most of her friends had stopped talking to her.

Ji-U was the only one she had left. Ji-U was the only she could rely on.