We Will Win!

"Getting the ball in from up close is easy. Getting it in from far away has true value." - Midorima Shintaro

* * * *

"Time out for Shutoku!"

Kasamatsu Yukio let out a low whistle as the Shutoku coach called for a time out barely two minutes into the second quarter. "Damn, I've never seen Shutoku pushed this far before." The Kaijo captain commented. Shutoku High had been named as one of the three kings of Tokyo for a reason after all, and they've been breezing through all their matches during the Inter High that year. "She's really a regular of the ultimate team in middle school basketball." Kasamatsu added, glancing at the Seirin bench where Tamaki was quenching her thirst, along with the rest of her teammates.

Kise smiled, looking at his former personal instructor with pride and adoration in his eyes.

Tamaki might not look like much at first, but she is one fearsome player if you are her enemy. Akashi, Midorima and Tamaki made up the brains of Teiko's team back when he was still in middle school. Momoi gathers the information on their rival schools, and Akashi, Midorima and Tamaki thinks of the strategies to be used against them. Midorima isn't that bad with strategy, but it is Akashi and Tamaki who are experts at thinking up tactical plays.

Even Kise's current play style had been taught to him by Tamaki when she was first assigned to him as his personal instructor back in second year. The teal haired girl merely makes her own observations just by watching his regular play, and knew that he is an expert in copying people's moves, and merely taught him a style that he is most comfortable with.

"Unlike me and the others, Tamacchi doesn't like taking the spotlight during matches," said Kise, resting his chin on his right hand. 'Well, part of the reason is because the opposing team's players tends to hit on her, particularly the team's ace.' Kise thought, wincing a little at the mere memory of it. "She prefers taking the back seat and being the team's support instead."

A small smile appeared on his face as the blonde recalls the conversation that he had with his instructor once after a practice game that the both of them had whilst helping the second string players during their time in Teiko. That had been before Kise himself had been named as a first string regular.

"I think that I understand a bit more of what you said, Tamacchi," said Kise thoughtfully as the two basketball players walked back to Teiko Middle School together. The practice match had been held at their opposing team's school, and it was within walking distance to Teiko. "But I still don't really understand everything." He complained.

Tamaki glanced at Kise out of the corner of her eye even as the other players of the second string trailed slowly behind them, some of them giving Kise the evil eye that the blonde either didn't notice, or ignored entirely. "Well, I wasn't really expecting for you to understand everything either," she said. "But you'll soon understand more of what I'd said." She said mysteriously.

Kise looked confused as he looked down at the shorter and smaller girl walking next to him, typing out a message on her red cellphone, apparently informing the basketball captain about the results of the match. Tamaki had been the only first string regular present at this match after all. She is the one in charge.

"I still don't get it." Kise complained. "Sacrificing oneself for a game? I know you're amazing, Tamacchi. But is it fun to play like that?"

The blonde privately felt that the teal haired girl doesn't really sees it as a sacrifice at all. He had seen the first string regulars at one of their matches once. Even though Tamaki had some good offensive skills in her arsenal like nearly every regular of the first string, she prefers taking a back seat and only attacked offensively if she has to.