We'll Meet Again

“If the five members of the Generation of Miracles have a weakness, it’s their overabundance of talent.” - Kuroko Tamaki 

* * * *

Furihata was frozen to his spot in fear, and next to him, Fukuda wasn’t any better as both boys watched the purple haired giant reached down with his hand towards Tamaki’s head.

‘Whoa. Whoa. What is he trying to do?’ Furihata thought in horror.

The Seirin members present then blinked in confusion as a rather child-like grin then appeared on the face of the purple haired giant as he messed up Tamaki’s teal hair.

“I’m just kidding.” Murasakibara grinned, leaning down a little to meet Tamaki’s height. He continued messing up Tamaki’s hair in the way that he always knew would annoy the teal haired girl ever since their elementary school days.

Tamaki’s eye twitched with annoyance. “Atsushi-kun…” Tamaki almost growled even as she grasped the hand that was messing up her hair and lifting it off her head. “Please don’t do that.” She combed through her now untidy hair with her other hand, trying to straighten it out.

“Oh, are you mad?” Murasakibara pouted rather like that of a child. “I’m sorry.” Not that he sound very sorry at all.

Meanwhile, Kagami was watching this scene with bewilderment. He definitely recognised this guy. After all, how many people in Japan have purple hair and is nearly two meters tall? He had a brief memory of walking past this guy after Seirin had watched the Kaijo versus Touou match. And he definitely remembers Tamaki saying something at that time about ‘forgetting to greet someone’.

So he’s one of them too. A member of Tamaki’s former team. One of the Generation of Miracles.

‘This guy… So he is the Center of the Generation of Miracles, Murasakibara!’

“I thought you weren’t coming?” Tatsuya asked Murasakibara with amusement.

“Actually, it’s your fault for changing our meeting place at the last second.” Murasakibara pouted, tossing the basketball in his hand towards Tatsuya. He grumbled beneath his breath as he reached into the bag of snacks hanging from his arm. “I only came because you said you wanted to go sightseeing around Tokyo since you came back to Japan. But you’re playing street ball.” Murasakibara muttered whilst munching on his chips.

“Sorry. Sorry.” Tatsuya chuckled, and Tamaki’s lips twitched slightly. Seems like Murasakibara is in good hands after all. Given how childish her old childhood friend is, and the disputes he is likely to get into with people who disagree with him, she is a little concerned about him when they’ve all gone their separate ways. “They said they were down a player, and it sounded like fun.” Tatsuya gestured towards his makeshift team who were all as bewildered as everyone else at the ongoing scene in front of them. But more so at Murasakibara’s height.

“Hey…” Furihata noticed the bag that Tatsuya had been carrying near the referee’s tent just then, recognising the purple and white sports bag immediately. “Yosen played in the Inter High, didn’t they?” He asked carefully, remembering what the coach had told them of the Inter High line-ups before their dismissal from practice the day before.

“What?” Fukuda was bewildered for a moment before he caught onto what Furihata was trying to tell them. “You mean he played in the Inter High too?”

‘No. He didn’t play.’ Tamaki mused to herself. ‘Along with everyone else.’

Even though Seirin didn’t get to participate in the Inter High after losing to both Touou and Senshinkan, she had received the same mail from her cousin the day before the semi-finals of the Inter High: don’t play in the rest of the matches for the Inter High.